D3K / Baseline / Dugout Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
ASA rules, 12u age group

R1 on 3B, R2 on 2B, 2 outs, B3 strikes out swinging, catcher shorthops the pitch. She returns the ball to the pitcher, who promptly drops the ball in the circle and begins hustling off the field with the rest of her team. I, the 3B coach, notice the D3K and yell to B1 to run to 1st. She doesn't hear me until she's about 2/3 of the way to the dugout, at which point she drops the bat and takes off for 1st. Meanwhile R1 and R2 have come around to score since the defense was nowhere near to being in position to make any play. The ball was still sitting in the dirt in the circle. Umpire declares that B1 is out for running out of the baseline. I remind him that she can run wherever she chooses so long as it isn't to avoid a tag, nor did she interfere with a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball, nor did she interfere with a thrown ball. He then changed his call to B1 is out because she was attempting to get in the dugout and thus gave up her opportunity to 1B. I called him on this as well, as "attempting" to enter dead ball territory does not constitute giving up her opportunity, but I got nowhere with this argument. Now, had she actually entered the dugout, he would be correct. But attempting? I haven't heard of this, but maybe I'm wrong.

Jun 22, 2008
Until she steps foot into dead ball territory, she is perfectly legal to attempt to advance to 1st base.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
No, unfortunately. I am realizing that I need to be more confident in my knowledge of the rules and next time push the issue.

Jun 22, 2008
Even with the bad ruling, you'd still get the 2 runs scored.

Negative. No run can score if the batter runner is put out before safely reaching 1st base and is the 3rd out of the inning or if the 3rd out is the result of a force play.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1