Complete Newb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I'd start with the "IR in the classroom" sticky. I think either drive mechanics or brush interference is what I've seen suggested next, but I can't remember for sure.

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for the feedback guys. That's why I like this forum. Looks like I have a lot of Learning to do. Are the sticky threads the place to start to learn the basics?

Yes. I started by reading them ALL. in depth. More than once. Whatcha all the videos. Find and watch everything on javasource, Rick Pauly. They both have great drills for ir etc. then get started. Then down the road you will need to do that again because you will see things differently. And you will be ready to learn more.
But you will have to have have to find someone that can pick apart your dd form and get you squared away. It’s vital at some point. There are some great guys and gals on this forum that can help with that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So here's the question. Is pitching something that requires a instructor or is this something that I could learn and teach her to at least get her started?

Your DD has to throw three or four times a week, 30 to 60 minutes for years.

It is very possible to develop the basic motion. There have been several people who have done what you are suggesting. The basics of the throwing motion aren't difficult.

The overall plan is to use different drills to build the motion. It is a little like putting together a car...you build the body, then you build the engine, then you put them together, then you refine it.

The two things that you are trying to develop are (1) the arm motion and then (2) the lower body mechanics correct.

Boardmember (God bless his little ugly head) did a wonderful job with the IR arm motion. The "IR in the classroom" has several drills that you can use to develop the proper motion. Java did an equal impressive job with lower body mechanics.

The question is whether *YOU* enjoy pitch and catch. From a Daddy's perspective, this is literally standing (or sitting) under the oak tree talking to your DD while she throws a yellow ball.

I did (twice). I still love playing pitch and catch. I enjoy being outside and the rhythm of the ball hitting the mitts. Ultimately, Daddies who successfully develop pitchers love pitch and catch.

MISTAKES BY NEWBIE DADDIES

The mistakes are:

1) Trying to teach breaking pitches too soon. Your DD won't need a breaking pitch for at least 4 years. Don't waste time trying to teach her a "back door curve rise". If you can get her to "just throw strikes", you'll have a great time.
2) Underestimating the work. This takes time. Slow and steady is the name of the game....making a little progress every day.
3) Not enjoying the process.
4) Not knowing when to back off....you are trying to develop a pitcher (or raise a child) who doesn't need you. You have to know when to fade into the background.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Your DD has to throw three or four times a week, 30 to 60 minutes for years.

It is very possible to develop the basic motion. There have been several people who have done what you are suggesting. The basics of the throwing motion aren't difficult.

The overall plan is to use different drills to build the motion. It is a little like putting together a car...you build the body, then you build the engine, then you put them together, then you refine it.

The two things that you are trying to develop are (1) the arm motion and then (2) the lower body mechanics correct.

Boardmember (God bless his little ugly head) did a wonderful job with the IR arm motion. The "IR in the classroom" has several drills that you can use to develop the proper motion. Java did an equal impressive job with lower body mechanics.

The question is whether *YOU* enjoy pitch and catch. From a Daddy's perspective, this is literally standing (or sitting) under the oak tree talking to your DD while she throws a yellow ball.

I did and I still could play pitch and catch for hours. I enjoy being outside and the rhythm.

MISTAKES BY NEWBIE DADDIES

The mistakes are:

1) Trying to teach breaking pitches too soon. Your DD won't need a breaking pitch for at least 4 years. Don't waste time trying to teach her a "back door curve rise". If you can get her to "just throw strikes", you'll have a great time.
2) Underestimating the work. This takes time. Slow and steady is the name of the game....making a little progress every day.
3) Not enjoying the process.
4) Not knowing when to back off....you are trying to develop a pitcher (or raise a child) who doesn't need you. You have to know when to fade into the background.

Thanks for the Advice and some of the mistakes that Dads make. Reminds me of the hitting instructions that me and her go through. I've learned a lot especially #4

Nov 18, 2015
Based on the swing clips you've posted, you have a very athletic daughter. I'm sure she'll pick up the basics quickly. Being barely a year ahead of you on the journey, my suggestion is to avoid talking about it as learning to pitch, and approach everything as learning to throw (or play catch) underhand. Help her understand how fluid the motion should feel/look/be before trying to do the whole windup, leap, and drag motions. "Whip happens" - you can't really force it.

The nice thing is that many of the basic drills, such as "lock it in", can be done using something as simple as a rolled up sock against a wall in the house (or a propped up mattress, in your case!).

Best of luck!

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Here's what I did for baseball (which is different than most):
1. Buy a radar gun/device. If you ain't measurin', you ain't workin'.
2. Try different techniques, if you're faster keep doing them
3. Learn/practice each grip early. Learn how they move. Learn how to create more movement. Determine if your off-speed pitches are off-speed enough, or too much. Learn when to throw non-FB pitches, what count, what situation.
4. In games, throw FB plus whichever pitch works that day (that 2nd pitch will likely change from game to game and season to season)

At 9, though, I might just start her out with some local lessons, even though they might not be teaching her the exact correct thing, just to give you and her a little jump start on the basics, and to get some cage time.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Based on the swing clips you've posted, you have a very athletic daughter. I'm sure she'll pick up the basics quickly. Being barely a year ahead of you on the journey, my suggestion is to avoid talking about it as learning to pitch, and approach everything as learning to throw (or play catch) underhand. Help her understand how fluid the motion should feel/look/be before trying to do the whole windup, leap, and drag motions. "Whip happens" - you can't really force it.

The nice thing is that many of the basic drills, such as "lock it in", can be done using something as simple as a rolled up sock against a wall in the house (or a propped up mattress, in your case!).

Best of luck!

I've read this before, and was approach I didn't even think of, but It makes total sense.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I wish I had seen Bill Hillhouse videos before starting down the pitch road. He breaks down the pitching motion in a way that has helped me review both my daughter and her pitching instructors.

Oct 4, 2018
Speaking from experience. Unless you are intimately familiar with the development of a pitcher, your DD needs a coach. I tried to watch videos, read forums, and work with my DD; nothing produced results like getting a pitching coach.

I could have written this word for word. I played baseball, I love the game. I have passion and time and energy. But I realized quickly we needed a pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl