Coaches & Parents question for you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
When I work with my teams, I stick to universal hitting breakdowns, not the crazy technical stuff that interferes with their coach and specific training.

When the pitcher moves, you move, level loading, solid coil and flashlighting, staying in your legs, finding the timing so you aren't chasing the full rear hip load, because you are late loading, staying within the door when swinging and making sure I don't see weight dumps towards the pitcher.

I will say, if I get a video on what is being worked on, I can speak to something that gets off rails a lil bit.

Oct 25, 2009
When I work with my teams, I stick to universal hitting breakdowns, not the crazy technical stuff that interferes with their coach and specific training.

When the pitcher moves, you move, level loading, solid coil and flashlighting, staying in your legs, finding the timing so you aren't chasing the full rear hip load, because you are late loading, staying within the door when swinging and making sure I don't see weight dumps towards the pitcher.

I will say, if I get a video on what is being worked on, I can speak to something that gets off rails a lil bit.
I would have to ask the player to explain all that to me so I could understand if we’re on the same page.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Too many voices muddy the waters so as a coach I try to avoid those conversations, even if I think I am right and the personal/paid coach is wrong. Unless I am asked directly I do not comment or "do things my way".
I think it's too many voices that are going in different directions muddy the water.
Do think that happens because there are those 'do it my way' situations.

Can Create conflict between what the coach wants and what the player is working on with they're instructor.

This ✔️👍 is one of the reasons I started this post topic.

Reviewing video to see what the player is working on with their instructor. Can help the coach be in the loop and still be able to coach the player.
Is what player doing mirroring their lesson?!

Beyond that is still performance feedback. And requirement of productivity at the plate.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023
I think it's too many voices that are going in different directions muddy the water.
Do think that happens because there are those 'do it my way' situations.

Can Create conflict between what the coach wants and what the player is working on with they're instructor.

This is one of the reasons I started this post topic.

Reviewing video to see what the player is working on with their instructor. Can help the coach be in the loop and still be able to coach the player.
Is what player doing mirroring their lesson?!

Beyond that is still performance feedback. And requirement of productivity at the plate.

There’s a Pitching Coach in Central Mass, whose pitchers only stride about three feet and there’s a HS Coach, who thinks she’s back in HS in 1960’s. She has her pitcher try to hold onto the rubber until release!
It’s frustrating to watch those pitchers in HS games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 9, 2021
There’s a Pitching Coach in Central Mass, whose pitchers only stride about three feet and there’s a HS Coach, who thinks she’s back in HS in 1960’s. She has her pitcher try to hold onto the rubber until release!
It’s frustrating to watch those pitchers in HS games.

Watching stuff like that puts me in a personal dilemma sometimes. I always wonder if I should mention something to a parent. I am not talking about a coach teaching a different style than I prefer, but just something that is blatantly wrong. I feel bad knowing those girls are limited by their coaches no matter how hard they work. But unless I know the family well I usually don’t say anything. I don’t think those coaches even have bad intentions, I just think they are going by very wrong information.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I would have to ask the player to explain all that to me so I could understand if we’re on the same page.
For me personally, it's really more of a see what I'm seeing in these areas as the hitting/training is unfolding. Then just have a general conversation to see the level of understanding that player has, when I see a repetitive issue taking place. I don't blitz anyone with all of this at the same time...Observe, then ask if they notice what I'm seeing, ask the player a question about the issue, have you heard this term used or understand what I am saying? Adapt from there with a simple explanation by showing what we can work on, to start correcting the issue being seen. Teach teach teach.

The basics, keep it simple...pure foundation stuff. You can do technical all freaking day long, but if the basics of a swing aren't consistently being dialed in, ZERO high level stuff will correct it.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Watching stuff like that puts me in a personal dilemma sometimes. I always wonder if I should mention something to a parent. I am not talking about a coach teaching a different style than I prefer, but just something that is blatantly wrong. I feel bad knowing those girls are limited by their coaches no matter how hard they work. But unless I know the family well I usually don’t say anything. I don’t think those coaches even have bad intentions, I just think they are going by very wrong information.

How easy this conversation is depends largely on how much money, and to a lesser extent time, that family has spent on that incorrect teaching.

Aug 9, 2021
Didn't read all the replies, but we never needed too.

Years ago we decided early on to make sure all coaches/instructors were on the same page. We paid for, and facilitated, some lessons where the TB coach and pitching instructor were both on and let them work out any differences. I do not see any point in being the middle-man. Went amazing smooth and everyone quickly got on the same page for the benefit of DD. Had to mediate a little bit, but avoided a young DD being in the middle of two different coaches.

Mar 29, 2023
Coaches should take the time to at least call their pitchers' private instructors and get on the same page periodically.

Find out what the pitcher is working on, find out verbal cues that may help, understand more about the pitcher's strength and weaknesses, find out where the pitcher is heading towards developmentally.

If you can squeeze out even a few percentage points of more success from your pitchers, you will probably have more returns on that time investment than most things you do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury