Complete Newb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I'm sure this probably has been asked a million time. but here we go. My DD is 8 going on 9. Said she wants to try out pitching. This is a totally new concept for her as well as me. From what I gather I/R is the way to go as far as pitching. I've not found any instructors in our area that teaches this. So here's the question. Is pitching something that requires a instructor or is this something that I could learn and teach her to at least get her started?

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Speaking from experience. Unless you are intimately familiar with the development of a pitcher, your DD needs a coach. I tried to watch videos, read forums, and work with my DD; nothing produced results like getting a pitching coach.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Good luck finding anyone in Oklahoma. I'd plan on learning it and teaching it yourself. I'm pretty sure there ARE some who teach it, but they don't call it "IR" and they are probably the instructors who aren't ever looking for students, so they don't really advertise.

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks SJW - As OsDad stated she is pretty limited to what's available. What I'm finding most is someone, knows someone that teaches pitching. They do not advertise or even really state what their methodology is.

May 20, 2016
Definitely do your homework and try to find an instructor. While i know a bit about pitching, there are things i don't see that an instructor will pickup on and correct. You can definitely get basics and drills to get started on this site though. I'd suggest that for the time being. But if it is something your DD becomes passionate about, you'll need to find a good instructor.

Nov 8, 2018
Well. I can speak from experience. I coach my dd. Why? Mostly because I haven’t found anyone local that will get the job done right. However, it hasn’t been easy. The dd dad dynamic, lack of experience , time, effort etc. it’s a lot. I love it. Most of the time. Not sure about dd.
For me no matter how I sliced it had she stayed with a pc I still had to be there to help her learn what the pc taught her. She has difficulty learning. So, for me it was the right move.
2 positives. I found this forum. Has been huge. The videos, links, advice, etc has been eye opening. I’m learning like a sponge and I love it. 2. I hooked up with a great advocate on this forum that is one of the best and I’ve learned things I never would have other wise. Meaning having a source of experience in your corner is vital as your dd ages.

Advice- if this is the right move for you learn as much as you can. Learn the basics they will build a proper foundation. Without that everything else will come hard.
Also, find an advocate that can guide you and your daughter thru the process. You may have to travel. I do. maybe online. Whatever DONT go it completely alone. It’s a tough road. Rewarding. But tough.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 17, 2019
Good luck finding anyone in Oklahoma. I'd plan on learning it and teaching it yourself. I'm pretty sure there ARE some who teach it, but they don't call it "IR" and they are probably the instructors who aren't ever looking for students, so they don't really advertise.
I ended up with Tincher, they teach an I/R style.... None in OK though... http://tincherpitching.com/

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks for the feedback guys. That's why I like this forum. Looks like I have a lot of Learning to do. Are the sticky threads the place to start to learn the basics?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl