Coil

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

T

theaddition

And so do you think the additional hip counter rotation is adding anything to her swing?

It [hip counter rotation] at the frames in question, do not add any appreciable additional forces. They store the potential energy generated from the earlier coil. IMO. The hands, as you have pointed out previously, for the most part, control the swing.
In this case, the hands are controlling the potential energy by controlling the coil [expanding and holding the Xfactor stretch].
Or better yet, the are controlling the uncoil.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
I'm not sure, just watching the hips and using the stripe as a gauge I'd call it frame 39. But in watching the clip cycle through the first couple times I was expecting to see an inside pitch. I guess I got the feel that some of the upper and lower body movement was an adjustment to create space for her hands to stay inside the ball.

R

RayR

So, would you say the style of the hitter contributes to the amount of overall hip movement? And that style is mainly controlled by the hands?

Compare Bustos to this hitter for instance.

And does strength play into style? Does Arredondo make up her strength deficiency by creating more X factor stretch? Whereas Bustos does not need to create as much X factor stretch because of her obvious strength?

What does this tell us on how to go about teaching individuals? IE - I have a big strong girl coming to our HS team as a freshman. Does she need to create a lot of X factor stretch like Arredondo or would Bustos be a better model? That in comparison to another girl who is more slender and not as strong.

And this is in no way saying Arredondo is not strong - she obviously is to be to control this much movement. But in relation to Bustos...

CrystalBustos_Olympics.gif

ArredondoTriple.gif

And back to the original thought here. Each hitter is obviously creating a connection between her upper rear leg and hips. One expands that into X factor stretch and other can take that connection and turn it quickly into a swing.

It [hip counter rotation] at the frames in question, do not add any appreciable additional forces. They store the potential energy generated from the earlier coil. IMO. The hands, as you have pointed out previously, for the most part, control the swing.
In this case, the hands are controlling the potential energy by controlling the coil [expanding and holding the Xfactor stretch].
Or better yet, the are controlling the uncoil.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
So, would you say the style of the hitter contributes to the amount of overall hip movement? And that style is mainly controlled by the hands?

Compare Bustos to this hitter for instance.

And does strength play into style? Does Arredondo make up her strength deficiency by creating more X factor stretch? Whereas Bustos does not need to create as much X factor stretch because of her obvious strength?

What does this tell us on how to go about teaching individuals? IE - I have a big strong girl coming to our HS team as a freshman. Does she need to create a lot of X factor stretch like Arredondo or would Bustos be a better model? That in comparison to another girl who is more slender and not as strong.

And this is in no way saying Arredondo is not strong - she obviously is to be to control this much movement. But in relation to Bustos...

CrystalBustos_Olympics.gif

ArredondoTriple.gif

And back to the original thought here. Each hitter is obviously creating a connection between her upper rear leg and hips. One expands that into X factor stretch and other can take that connection and turn it quickly into a swing.

Do you teach the coil and uncoil differently depending on the player's tendencies (power hitter vs. contact hitter)?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Frames 21 (start) through 39 (end) is the coil (load), primarily with upper body with a little bit of hip coil (lower body) starting at frame 25 through 35. In general, I don't see a lot of lower body coil but maybe its the angle of the vid?

Frames 25-35 (or there abouts) are the frames associated with 'forward by coiling'. A common cue to realize this is 'show the pitcher your front pocket'. Notice the Internal Rotation of the front leg during these frames ... in a sense, she is drawing on her front side to assist with the coil as she moves forward. From a balance view point, the rear leg could be thought of as providing a rotational force to 'open' the body up, while the front side ('show the pitcher your front pocket') counters that and closes the body off ... serving as a dynamic balance point and source of energy gathering.

R

RayR

Maybe it is easier to think like this:

Loading the lower body requires the hips to twist.

Coiling the body encompasses creating a X factor stretch.

Loading the lower body IMO is about connecting the rear leg to the hips to provide a running start. I would say that many, many girls connect the front leg to the hips to open the hips leaving the rear leg behind.

Coiling IMO is about creating an X Stretch to store more energy that the hands control in terms of releasing.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
I'm always looking for good ideas to steal that help find a meaningful sweetspot between "it works for me" and "an overly-complicated, nearly incomprehensible, pseudo-scientific explanation of what you think is going on doesn't mean it's good enough either".

I think the "spine engine" hypothesis from Kelvin Miyahira in golf has a lot of promise.

In the case of HLBB, I think you want to get the rear leg welded action MTS has described as part of the HLBB pattern. The overall spine action is best seen on rear view.

for a given pattern "micromoves" become essential in permitting one pattern and preventing another.

See spine engine, lumbar lordosis, lateral bend, scap dig, etc

Revisiting the Kinetic Link Principle :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

Spine Engine Swing: Lateral Bend :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

Second Magical Key to the Spine Engine: Lumbar Lordosis :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

What's a Shoulder Turn? Part 1 :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtfy6Km3kvY

This enables efficient use of tissue elastic properties which can transfer momentum and move more quickly than muscular force production as well as enhancing Stretch receptor reflexes in muscles.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Could someone please explain what the "X factor stretch" is for me? Interesting subject but I just lost you. Sorry. And also, what does HLBB stand for? Thought I knew but not sure anymore.

R

RayR

X factor stretch is about how far the shoulders rotate back compared to the hips. It is mainly a golf term. Even though the hips might lead the turn the shoulders finish it since they can rotate farther. So, from the sky it looks like an X.

HLBB - I think means High Level Baseball...should be HLSB or HLFP for this site ;)

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Could someone please explain what the "X factor stretch" is for me? Interesting subject but I just lost you. Sorry. And also, what does HLBB stand for? Thought I knew but not sure anymore.

Agree with MTS, however sometimes different explanations can help.

The lower and upper body basically coil back together. Somewhere between toe touch and heel plant the hips begin to uncoil. In a well executed swing the top half remains closed as the hips begin to uncoil. The difference between the angle of the hips and the shoulders viewed from directly above the hitter is the "X" factor stretch. If you were to put a rod through the hips and another rod through the shoulders the two rods form an "X" if viewed from above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl