Coaches, would this be appropriate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Let's just say we communicated with the four other players from our old team (excluding team mom's daughter, of course) to apprise them of the conversation. If they choose to stay knowing they'll likely be cut for fall, at least they will have had all the data.

And we've already been removed from the team group chat thingy.

Apr 12, 2015
I would kill for my DD to be as good as her. We'll be seeing her at a D1 school, I'm certain.

The easiest answer is if you want your DD to even have the potential to be that good she needs playing time. More than a couple of innings per tournament. If she isn't going to get that with the current team, it is time to look for another team. The only was to find out the plans for her playing time is to ask.

Your letter/email looked just fine to me. A coach should be easily able to answer it and explain his or her reasoning.

And I suppose I should have read more than the first page. But at least you got a real answer and can plan the future accordingly instead of some BS that leaves you in limbo.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2013
OK, we got our answer and I'm so pissed right now that I'm shaking. DD had a rotator cuff injury back in December. She did two months of twice-weekly PT and is 90% (I'd say) recovered now. With this "team," they've had a grand total of about four practices (for various reasons; weather, people's conflicts), and NONE since FEBRUARY. So, the only time Coach has seen her throw since then was at that tournament (for two whole innings!).

We got this response:

"Honestly it will be similar to the last tournament. I can't justify putting her behind the plate with a hurt arm. When I was asked to coach this team I said I would be reaching out to former players that I knew weren't happy and try and get them to play. [Guest player] is not the only catcher we picked up for this weekend as I'm continuing to look for players for the fall. In my opinion catcher is a place where this team needs help among other positions. I'm sorry that y'all are unhappy but I have to find the pieces for this team so that there will be a team in the fall. If your asking me do I see her catching for this team in the fall I do not."

You know, it would have been nice to have some communication about all of this. NOTHING. Nada. And other heads are apparently on the chopping block. We were just placeholders for him for the spring while he courts old players. I don't like being used and jerked around. And judging her based on an injury that has healed (not that he's had a chance to evaluate that at all). We are done with this "team." Guess we'll just pick up until tryouts roll around in August. Glad we asked the question!

From my perspective his response was probably the best thing for you. It was honest. I know it wasn't what you wanted to hear. So now you know you need to find a new team. Better to know now, than to get cut in the fall when most teams are full.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Didn't you say this catcher likes her current team and has no plans of moving on? She is probably just taking the free innings and loving it.

I'm not sure why this coach thinks Spring/Summer is the time to plan his team for next Fall.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I already have her a tryout for a new team this weekend. Cross fingers for us. It's a good one with some of her other former teammates.

Jun 8, 2016
This whole thread could be titled "Why TB is screwing up amateur sports" Coaches taking advantage of kids/parents, parents mad
because their kid isn't playing because they paid good money, mortgaging the house just so your kid can play against
good competition and get seen, etc... All of it seems so ridiculous and while I realize at some point it will be necessary
if she is still interested in playing I am not looking forward to any of it.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
This whole thread could be titled "Why TB is screwing up amateur sports" Coaches taking advantage of kids/parents, parents mad
because their kid isn't playing because they paid good money, mortgaging the house just so your kid can play against
good competition and get seen, etc... All of it seems so ridiculous and while I realize at some point it will be necessary

You don't know what you're missing. Sure there's some drama, but it will be the most fun you ever have with you daughter.

Jun 12, 2015

I agree with most of this and also with Lobster Birch; it's been all worth it so far, somehow! When you find a good fit it really is a wonderful thing. Our current team isn't perfect, but it's a good fit and a lot of fun. It does happen!

Jun 17, 2014
The coach is a moron. I wouldn't pay another dollar and I would seek a refund if you paid ahead.

*This*

I'm glad you asked and glad he gave an honest answer but that doesn't change the fact that what he did was flat out wrong. I'm sorry you had to go through this and good luck with the tryouts!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12