Coach interference question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2015
Two separate wild things happened on the same play in HS SB. Runner at first, one out. Runner steals second on pitch, catcher's throw to second immediately bounces off batter's helmet and ricochets towards first base. Runner sees the ball go over towards the foul line behind first and continues all the way to third.

The next I know, the umpires are conferring. As HC I'm wondering if they're possibly considering interference on the batter for not getting out of the way, which of course, would be hogwash. The ump calls me over and reluctantly says my first base coach touched the ball (which I didn't see but he evidently did) and so the runner must return to first and also the batter is out.

My question is: is it that the batter is out and not the runner? And if it's the batter that's out, what goes in her stat sheet - what's her AB listed as in the scorebook?

May 29, 2015
If it was unintentional, then it is nothing and the ball stays live. NFHS 3-5-5 (Exception)

If it was intentional, the ball is immediately dead, the runner closest to home is out, and any other runners go back. As you only had one runner on, that runner should have been called out. It has no impact on the batter. NFHS 8-6-16

May 29, 2015
There is an interesting piece to this that I did not think to include before … and since it happened to me this weekend, it’s a good time to add it …

What do “intentional” and “unintentional” mean? It actually does NOT mean intent to interfere. Intentional means the coach (or whomever) took the initiative to touch the ball. Unintentional means the coach was not actively seeking contact and was touched by the ball.

Where that gets fuzzy is when the coach does nothing. Then we have to consider whether that was deliberate (to stay in the way) or accidental (didn’t realize it was coming).

Jul 2, 2013
There is an interesting piece to this that I did not think to include before … and since it happened to me this weekend, it’s a good time to add it …

What do “intentional” and “unintentional” mean? It actually does NOT mean intent to interfere. Intentional means the coach (or whomever) took the initiative to touch the ball. Unintentional means the coach was not actively seeking contact and was touched by the ball.

Where that gets fuzzy is when the coach does nothing. Then we have to consider whether that was deliberate (to stay in the way) or accidental (didn’t realize it was coming).

While I get the idea of unintentional that you explain here, it leads me to another question. What if the coach is outside of the coach's box when the ball hits them (unintentionally)? What if they are on the field of play?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If it was unintentional, then it is nothing and the ball stays live. NFHS 3-5-5 (Exception)

If it was intentional, the ball is immediately dead, the runner closest to home is out, and any other runners go back. As you only had one runner on, that runner should have been called out. It has no impact on the batter. NFHS 8-6-16

The rules state "Any coach or member of the offensive team, other than a runner, interferes with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play."

According to what it says, there has to be a play to be made. If there's no potential for a play, then there shouldn't be an out called, right?

I know this type of play has been discussed before where an offensive player will pick up a live ball in an attempt to be helpful (on deck hitter picks up a wild pitch). From the discussions, it seems like if there's no actual play to be made, there's no interference, but since the offense caused a blocked ball, runners have to go back.

Jan 30, 2019
While I get the idea of unintentional that you explain here, it leads me to another question. What if the coach is outside of the coach's box when the ball hits them (unintentionally)? What if they are on the field of play?
The coach's box means absolutely nothing, once a pitch has been delivered until the end of the play. The coaches are allowed to move freely with the play. This is why you may see a coach half-way down the base line putting up a stop sign.

USA: Rule 1 - "COACH'S BOX: The area in which the base coach is restricted to prior to the release of the pitch."
NFHS: Rule 2-13 - "The coaches box is the area to which the two base coaches (one per box) are restricted prior to the release of the pitch."
NCAA: Rule 2.11 - "The coaches’ boxes are the areas to which the two base coaches (one per box) are restricted before the pitch is released. Each box shall be marked by two lines. The first is a line 15 feet long drawn parallel to and 8 feet from the first- and third-base lines extended from the back edge of the bases toward home plate. The second is a line 3 feet long drawn perpendicular to the end of the 15-foot line closest to home plate. The remaining two sides of the box shall be the sideline and home run fences."

I am unsure of USSSA as I do not umpire USSSA games (not popular in my area), and do not have the book, but I would imagine something similar.

The coach' boxes are in the field of play. The field of play is the area "between the fences".

Jun 20, 2015
while we are talking about base coaches and position....anyone ever had the opposition 3b coach like to get as close as possible to the 3b line and have his base runner creep down the line behind him?? hiding the runner if you will. Had this a couple years ago. it cost us a run overrall, but catcher drilling him 2x was worth it.

Oct 11, 2018
while we are talking about base coaches and position....anyone ever had the opposition 3b coach like to get as close as possible to the 3b line and have his base runner creep down the line behind him?? hiding the runner if you will. Had this a couple years ago. it cost us a run overrall, but catcher drilling him 2x was worth it.

I'd use this rule to call the runner out:
N. When members of the offensive team stand or collect around a base to which a runner is advancing, confusing the fielders and adding to the difficulty of making the play.

May 29, 2015
The rules state "Any coach or member of the offensive team, other than a runner, interferes with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play."

According to what it says, there has to be a play to be made. If there's no potential for a play, then there shouldn't be an out called, right?

I know this type of play has been discussed before where an offensive player will pick up a live ball in an attempt to be helpful (on deck hitter picks up a wild pitch). From the discussions, it seems like if there's no actual play to be made, there's no interference, but since the offense caused a blocked ball, runners have to go back.

Agreed about the “potential play” part … However I would say if runners are advancing, there is a potential play. If your runners are not going anywhere, kill it. The benefit of doubt is going to go to the defense of the offense is grabbing the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812