Cheating or Aggressive Base Running?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I once had a girl who was very inexperienced do this, but because she completely panicked and just...didn't touch third. It might not have been this egregious, but it was close. It was obviously not planned or taught, but as it was happening I realized I couldn't stop it (that pesky rule about physically assisting players be damned) and I just kinda hoped nobody noticed. They did. Because it was so obvious.

I'm stunned that the other team didn't catch this.

I'm kind of torn on if there should be punishment. It's definitely bush league. It's not very sporting. I don't know that I'd call it cheating because the defense has an immediate recourse to prevent the play from working. Is it in conflict to say if I had a kid I'd pull her from a team that taught this, but I also don't know that I think the coach should be punished? Because that's how I feel about it.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
What isn't on video these days. Surprised the coach thought they could get away with it, even though they did...

National high school federation rules don't allow video evidence to overturn calls or help with officiating. An individual state association might allow it, but it would be rare. So coach likely wouldn't need to worry about video from that standpoint. But, I agree that it takes some nerve to run a play like that given the risk of public condemnation.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I don't know if this is the actual coach responding on Twitter, but if it is, he's admitting what a cheater he is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221015_001420.jpg
    Screenshot_20221015_001420.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 114
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ii do like the legal version of this play. Runner on 2nd intentionally over rounds 3rd causing the excited (hopefully below average arm) 1st baseman to throw behind the runner and runner breaks for home on the throw. It works.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I'm kind of torn on if there should be punishment. It's definitely bush league. It's not very sporting. I don't know that I'd call it cheating because the defense has an immediate recourse to prevent the play from working. Is it in conflict to say if I had a kid I'd pull her from a team that taught this, but I also don't know that I think the coach should be punished? Because that's how I feel about it.

If I were principal of a high school, and this was my high school team, I'd probably punish it or ensure that it never happened again. Reminds me of a high school football game locally about 10 years ago where the coach designed a play for a player to come off the bench 30 yards up fiend and catch a pass. Coach got suspended by his high school. I don't know that the game officials or anybody else should do anything because there are no concrete rules defining how to handle it from a sportsmanship point of view. If you start using non-specific rules about sportsmanship, umpires could penalize teams for tying their shoes to run out the clock, or acting like they caught a sinking liner when they knew they didn't. I know what we're discussing is far more serious, but it's still subjective. You don't want a situation where umpires aren't in general agreement on how to handle it.

Dec 11, 2010
Cheating. Blatant. Inexcusable. A pre-planned event designed to defraud all involved.

I find it amusing that an umpire would try to make the case that somehow this can't be called without an appeal.

Do your job. This is it. Throw your hands up, call time and figure out how you are going to do the right thing.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Cheating. Blatant. Inexcusable. A pre-planned event designed to defraud all involved.

I find it amusing that an umpire would try to make the case that somehow this can't be called without an appeal.

Do your job. This is it. Throw your hands up, call time and figure out how you are going to do the right thing.
✔️

There is a Time and a Place,
and THIS is it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06