Cheating or Aggressive Base Running?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Missing a base by a stride happens in softball. There is a rule to address that.

Running from 2nd to home (missing 3rd by 20 feet) is blatant cheating. No regard for fellow athletes, any standards of decency, or basic sportsmanship.

Check the Code of Ethics.

If you can't play with some sportsmanship then get out of sports.

Easy.
Agreed...still doesn't mean it is umpire's job to be the moral police. Sounds like you should apply for the job...

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Every holding penalty (all penalties, in fact) in football and hockey is cheating according to that definition. You could probably argue that every foul in basketball is also cheating.

It's also cheating to frame a pitch that is out of the strike zone (that is "dishonest," right?).

I think that's a bad definition and doesn't actually describe what most people think of as cheating.

Some bad examples. Fouls in the sports you mentioned happen in the normal course of play and aren't planned, practiced, and are rarely intended. None of those require the team that was affected to call it to the official's attention. Fouls do not produce a competitive advantage, and teams routinely lose because they commit too many of them. The more serious/repeated fouls produce ever-increasing penalties, including ejection, fine, and suspension. None of that requires any action by anyone but the officials on site and at the League office.

Framing a pitch? Lol...no.

This is closer to putting helium in a football, or electronically eavesdropping on play calling or pitch signals, or some cheap shot when the officials can't see it. It was planned and executed in a way that anticipated that all eyes would be on the ball, not the second player rounding third.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Am I the only one here that doesn't see a problem with this? The offense coach basically gave the defense team a easy out but no one, not a coach, player, or even parent ( I've saw a few missed bases over the years in DDs games that I alerted the coach and got the out) saw that egregious running, shame on them. Coaches, have a player or two on your bench do nothing but watch runners touch bases, simple as that.

Jun 8, 2016
Am I the only one here that doesn't see a problem with this? The offense coach basically gave the defense team a easy out but no one, not a coach, player, or even parent ( I've saw a few missed bases over the years in DDs games that I alerted the coach and got the out) saw that egregious running, shame on them. Coaches, have a player or two on your bench do nothing but watch runners touch bases, simple as that.
I can guarantee the parent of the kid who "missed" 3B saw it..Which brings up an interesting question. If that was your kid what would you do in that situation...(not after the fact..right at that point in time)?

Aug 25, 2019
I can guarantee the parent of the kid who "missed" 3B saw it..Which brings up an interesting question. If that was your kid what would you do in that situation...(not after the fact..right at that point in time)?
well after the game I would ask DD if that was planned or a mistake. If that was a planned play by the coach I would say to him/ her that it was a stupid play that we got lucky that wasn't appealed. at that point in time, I wouldn't do anything, what would you do?

Jun 8, 2016
at that point in time, I wouldn't do anything, what would you do?
If I was pretty sure it was on purpose (and while my kid isn't Maury Wills her missing it by that much would be on purpose..) I would probably create a scene..which is probably the wrong thing to do but also why I rarely go to DD's sporting events anymore.

Dec 11, 2010
If that was your kid what would you do in that situation...(not after the fact..right at that point in time)?
Here is what I’m doing! (And I’m glad I get the chance to pontificate!)

”Hey kid, we ain’t gonna do that. I know you were told to do this, and even though the coach told you to do it, we can’t have this. Even in the military a soldier can refuse an unlawful order. That’s how we are going to approach this in the future.

When someone tells to you do something so obviously wrong, and you do it, you condone it, endorse it, it becomes part of YOU. Next time it gets a little easier and next thing you know, you will be the one telling someone else to do something really, really wrong.

You never really “get away” with stuff like this. After all, one of the dangers with a deal like this is that you and your name could be put all over the internet. Remember that catcher that was taking the legs out from under runners in Texas when there was no play at the plate? Yeah, me too. I knew her name. I followed her through college. Her bad acts on the field followed her through her college career and maybe even her work life. Can’t you picture people who she works with saying ‘hey do you remember that video of that softball catcher…. that’s HER!‘

Your name is my name. You have a responsibility to not only me but yourself to act in a way that you won’t regret 20 years from now. Your coach must not care about that. I think you do. It’s a mistake. You will live through it. Show people that isn’t really who you are” etc etc

I got a similar speech a couple times from my dad, lol.

The umpires had a chance to stop this in its tracks and mute the outrage. Thats what bugs me about this.

This isn’t a slippery slope. That’s is almost always a stupid, cop out answer. This is not leaving a little early. This isn’t framing a pitch. This scales much, much larger. This is an extraordinary act which demands an immediate response.

Jun 8, 2016
”Hey kid, we ain’t gonna do that. I know you were told to do this, and even though the coach told you to do it, we can’t have this. Even in the military a soldier can refuse an unlawful order. That’s how we are going to approach this in the future.

When someone tells to you do something so obviously wrong, and you do it, you condone it, endorse it, it becomes part of YOU. Next time it gets a little easier and next thing you know, you will be the one telling someone else to do something really, really wrong.

You never really “get away” with stuff like this. After all, one of the dangers with a deal like this is that you and your name could be put all over the internet. Remember that catcher that was taking the legs out from under runners in Texas when there was no play at the plate? Yeah, me too. I knew her name. I followed her through college. Her bad acts on the field followed her through her college career and maybe even her work life. Can’t you picture people who she works with saying ‘hey do you remember that video of that softball catcher…. that’s HER!‘

Your name is my name. You have a responsibility to not only me but yourself to act in a way that you won’t regret 20 years from now. Your coach must not care about that. I think you do. It’s a mistake. You will live through it. Show people that isn’t really who you are” etc etc
That’s the easy answer 😉. As I stated what would you do right when it happened..I am probably calling it out right there, confronting the DD and coach and getting myself in trouble 😒

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
That’s the easy answer 😉. As I stated what would you do right when it happened..
I spent several minutes typing my fingers to the bone. That ain’t easy!

Can’t do anything. As a spectator you are not in the mix.

Thats why it is so important for the officials to deal with this in a manner that puts the incident to bed quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes