Chapman and the Mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We are not MLB. If the MLB adopts it every kid playing baseball will follow suit. Many moons ago Joan Joyce struck out the likes of Ted Williams using a sling shot motion. Today if a player tried that they would probably get flagged with an IP. But have a Ricketts, Traina, or Hawkins win a championship throwing slingshot and we will be back to ground zero. Eventually some stud pitcher will wear one and Rip-It will not make them fast enough. Change takes time and it is better for people to accept it on their own rather than have it forced upon them.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We are not MLB. If the MLB adopts it every kid playing baseball will follow suit. Many moons ago Joan Joyce struck out the likes of Ted Williams using a sling shot motion. Today if a player tried that they would probably get flagged with an IP. But have a Ricketts, Traina, or Hawkins win a championship throwing slingshot and we will be back to ground zero. Eventually some stud pitcher will wear one and Rip-It will not make them fast enough. Change takes time and it is better for people to accept it on their own rather than have it forced upon them.

Its not the parents and players that aren't accepting of the fielder's masks. In fact, they are more common than not w/ pitchers and corners here in New England. That is until their TB coaches tell them that college coaches don't want players with masks. Like it or not, that's the real barrier IMO.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Its not the parents and players that aren't accepting of the fielder's masks. In fact, they are more common than not w/ pitchers and corners here in New England. That is until their TB coaches tell them that college coaches don't want players with masks. Like it or not, that's the real barrier IMO.

With you 100%. Which is why I discourage my players from wearing them. Not that I agree with it but they are just not readily accepted at the college level.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Originally Posted by Greenmonsters
Its not the parents and players that aren't accepting of the fielder's masks. In fact, they are more common than not w/ pitchers and corners here in New England. That is until their TB coaches tell them that college coaches don't want players with masks. Like it or not, that's the real barrier IMO

With you 100%. Which is why I discourage my players from wearing them. Not that I agree with it but they are just not readily accepted at the college level.

But why is that? It does not make sense to me.

Not trying to argue, just trying to learn.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Generally speaking college coaches see them as a crutch and players using them as not confident in their own abilities. If a pitcher wears one it is because she throws the ball fat, lacks confidence, etc... Like I said I am not saying I agree with it. But it is what it is.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have gunned several hundred pitchers from 12U to NPF and I have never seen an exit speed over 85mph. In fact most 18U rarely exceed 75mph.

I'd be curious to know what you consider to be good exit speeds for different age divisions based on what you've recorded. It's hard to find data on that. My DD has taken a few lessons recently by a coach who likes to measure it off front toss, but he doesn't coach a lot of girls, so we can't make comparisons except to herself and whether she improves over time. Also would be curious to know how much difference there might be between tee vs. front toss vs. 50 mph + live pitching.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Unfortunately I can't provide information by age group. Exit speed is something that I pick up when I am gunning pitchers and is really extraneous information. Because radar typically picks up the highest speed you have to be careful any time there is a swing because you do not know if you are getting the pitch, the bat, or the ball off the bat. If you have a high end gun you may also pick up cars on the road next to the field. Usually I will be watching a pitcher that is working at a specific speed, a ball is hit and it is obvious that the pitcher did not throw the ball at 72mph. I really don't notice the lower exit speeds just the upper end when it is well beyond the capabilities of the pitcher. I can tell you that when a ball is hit at 75+ it has been crushed and given the right trajectory it is leaving the park. Last weekend my daughter threw a pitch (which did not move) in a college game that I clocked at 67mph inbound and left outbound at 78 mph. It impacted a good 250ft in the woods behind the fence. Last Fall she threw a fattie to Florida Gator, Lauren Hager that I wish I had clocked the exit speed. My sources at NASA tell me that it should re-enter earths atmosphere sometime in June. :)

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Generally speaking college coaches see them as a crutch and players using them as not confident in their own abilities. If a pitcher wears one it is because she throws the ball fat, lacks confidence, etc... Like I said I am not saying I agree with it. But it is what it is.

Says who? Heather Tarr said a few years back (before the Inglesby incident) that she could care less what they wear as long as they can field their position.