catching gear help??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My is daughter is 11 years old and catches on a 12U team which I coach and a 14U team that I do not coach.
For her 12th birthday she would like her own catching gear. So what is the best set out there and what size do I need to get? She is 5'2" 120lb. I've been looking at Dicks sporting goods, and I'm not seeing anything that tells me recommend height or weight.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD likes the All Star Gear. The face mask gives you better peripheral vision, since it puts her head farther forward than other brands. The leg guards have removable/washable pads and the chest protector fits better for girls/women. The White gear really sets the girls apart from the rest too. But I would do your own homework. Good luck.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Proper fit is the MOST important factor in selecting the proper gear. Take measurements and get on the manufacturer's websites for sizing info as a good place to start.

As for "best", opinions vary. All-Star, Wilson, and Schutt are all considered to be excellent. The Wilson ProMotion gear gets a lot of rave reviews for comfort. The Wilson helmet is the only one that includes shock absorbing mounts for the cage, which can make a pretty significant difference in impact transmitted to the head. One critical area is the padding in the knee cup of the leg guards.

Currently, my 10yo DD is using Schutt S3 legs, Schutt Scorpion chest, and an Easton helmet. When she's ready for the next size up, it will likely be Wilson (definitely the helmet).

You might also want to search through the "Catching" section of the forum for other gear discussions.

Also...

Welcome to DFP. Enjoy the ride! :)

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Big fan of the All-Star Vela, DD is also a "Storm Trooper".
Mizuno Samurai, Schutt Scorpion are also very good, as are Wilson and Rawlings. Easton leg guards were junk, they may have corrected that.

Agree about the sizing, plus she'll probably have strong opinions about the look, so you're best off finding someplace with a real selection and trying them on. If that's not realistic where you live, get the sizing charts and instructions straight from the manufacturers before ordering anything. As a last resort, hq4sports.com has a decent generic fit guide.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
You will need to measure your daughters legs from the center of her knee to the ankle to get your starting point for the guards, the chest protector is center of collar bone to the waist. I have found with my two that these are good starting points, but are not an absolute as different manufacturers are not the same for sizing.

There is no set that will fit perfect, the best way is to find sizing and try the different manufacturers even if it means mix and match.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Some of the catchers I know love to get their gear in distinctive colors. One girl on DD #3's TB team has green gear, and another one has blue gear. Sometimes that makes it easy to tell who is catching by the color of their gear. However, DD #3 and the girl with blue gear play on the same rec ball team, and when DD #3 catches, she borrows her friend's blue gear.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
At 5'2", the Wilson ProMotion Intermediate gear should fit her. My daughter is 5'4" and 130 pounds and is on the small side for the Adult sized gear.

Daughter #2 is 5'3", 140 pounds and uses the Mizuno Samurai Intermediate gear. She likes the fit better than the Wilson gear.

Both girls wear Wilson Shock FX Fastpitch helmets, in the large size. The small size is tiny.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom