Cash payments and 1099's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
I know umpires usually work for cash with an "at the plate payment". Our league is requiring that we 1099 any umpire that the league pays over $600.00 per year, is this a standard practice? Do umpires refuse to work if they need to report the cash income or will they raise their prices per game?

Thanks for any insight.

Jun 22, 2008
Its the law, if you pay someone more than $600 you must file a 1099. If you do enough games for any particular leauge or assignor, you are eventually going to reach the $600 threshold. Some umpires may balk, but its just a fact of life. If I get a 1099 I file on the income, if I dont, then no.

May 25, 2010
Do umpires refuse to work if they need to report the cash income or will they raise their prices per game?
No and not necessarily.

But the situation you describe is just one more reason to eliminate the personal income tax, one of the most ridiculous creations ever. Spread the word. :)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No and not necessarily.

But the situation you describe is just one more reason to eliminate the personal income tax, one of the most ridiculous creations ever. Spread the word. :)

No, actually the income tax is the fairest of all taxes available. And I live is a state which has an income tax, but no sales tax. I have also lived in states that have sales tax & income tax and in states that had sales tax, but no income tax.

I'll take the income tax every time.

As it comes to umpires, there is no such thing as "free income". It is not your job (as payee) to insure the umpire pays taxes, simply provide the required documents to show the payment.

If you have an umpire who will not work if you are filing a 1099, then you have "green", not a blue. What I love are the umpires who don't want to declare their income, but want to write off everything:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan