Can Runner Run????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Usually, the ball isn't throw around the infield with runners on base and the ball will go straight back to the pitcher In The Circle. Usually the infielders won't be slapping hands with the pitcher on a K with runners on. I wouldn't waist my time teaching this.

Teach what? Unless you want your runner ruled out, the answer is no. I don't get the confusion here. If the pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle, the runenrs cannot leave the base. If already off the base, must either return or advance immediately.

It doesn't make any difference if the pitcher is alone in the circle or having a tea party, the runner must stay on the base.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
It doesn't make any difference if the pitcher is alone in the circle or having a tea party, the runner must stay on the base.

This made me laugh! My DD got called on the LBR in a school ball game this year. matter of fact, that ump got 2 of our girls (both of them played together on a league team) in the same inning. He kept trying to explain the rule when it happened, and we didn't understand. After the game he explained it more fully and we got it. Wonder how many times we had done that and it never got called?

Jan 23, 2009
Okay, I have thought about sending my runners from 1st, or 2nd when the pitcher records a strikeout and the catcher returns the ball to the pitcher. Here is where the question comes in. When the fielders on the opposing team come up to congratulate the pitcher for the K and the bases are left unattended can I steal? Many times the pitcher is not on the rubber and no batter is in the box yet so I am assuming it is a live ball.

Just curious. How many times a year do you face a team whose infielders congratulate their pitcher for a K with runners on base? And what age level is this?

Mar 13, 2010
My main reaction to that was 'why as the question as I have never seen that happen'

If the pitcher is facing the batter and the other fielders are away from their bases I would send them. My intrepretation of hesitation has always been that if the pitcher is even facing the runner, then the runner can advance.

Like others have said though, the chances of this happening on a regular basis (or even at all) are so incredibly slim that I would not try to teach it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My main reaction to that was 'why as the question as I have never seen that happen'

If the pitcher is facing the batter and the other fielders are away from their bases I would send them. My intrepretation of hesitation has always been that if the pitcher is even facing the runner, then the runner can advance.

Like others have said though, the chances of this happening on a regular basis (or even at all) are so incredibly slim that I would not try to teach it.

It has nothing to do with whether the odds are slim or not, the runner would be ruled out. The rule is clear, if the pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle and the runner leaves the base, they are out, period unless there is a play. Looking at a runner is not a play. Turning toward the runner is not a play. A play is defined as an act by the defense to retire the runner.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
MTR, I know that the runner cannot leave the base if the pitcher has the ball in the circle, but what about like I have taught our runners not to return to the base untill the pitcher has the ball? If the infielders all run in to glove slap the pitcher and my runner has not returned to the base yet, could she run? My understanding of the look back rule is that the runner can't change directions, so if she has not gone back yet, just wondering if she could go.

Dec 28, 2008
Why was the runner still on second base with a batter at the plate that had enough pitches to strike out? She needed to do her job and not leave a runner stranded on second.

If you are playing a team that doesn't pay attention to the base runners ...
Why didn't the runner do a delayed steal?
Why didn't the batter at least fake a bunt to draw the third baseman in so runner could steal?

Just another way to look at the same situation, without having to rely on some kind of trickery or taking a chance on what an umpire does/doesn't think happened.

Jun 22, 2008
Once the pitcher has the ball, the runner must immediately make a decision to either advance or return to base. If all the infielders are headed in to hand slap the pitcher before she actually has the ball, and your runner elects to advance then, they are completely legal. But, they just cant stand there waiting to see what happens.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR, I know that the runner cannot leave the base if the pitcher has the ball in the circle, but what about like I have taught our runners not to return to the base untill the pitcher has the ball? If the infielders all run in to glove slap the pitcher and my runner has not returned to the base yet, could she run? My understanding of the look back rule is that the runner can't change directions, so if she has not gone back yet, just wondering if she could go.

And the post to which I replied did not provide an alternative play citation, so I responded as the thread applied to the OP.

As Comp noted, if there was no hesitation, you are okay, but I don't see that happening with an alert crew. Once that ball hits the pitcher's glove in the circle, the next look is at the runners, not the infielders. Just because they aren't trying to coerce the runner to return does not mean they can stand around longer.

Jan 24, 2009
It is very rare that I have come across an umpire who
1. Actually understands the LBR and
2. Applies it correctly with
3. consistency.
Very, very, VERY rare indeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207