Can coach ruin softball dreams, or does kid just need an excuse to quit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
While I understand your premise, the reality is different in many areas.

She is not unique, but our daughter is expected to be (that could change, of course) a TB level player within a year in softball. She's already a select-level player in soccer, but will remain in rec this fall.

Her rec soccer team will practice two days a week and play games on Saturday. Her rec softball team will practice two days a week and play games on Sunday. She'll also have pitching lessons one day out of the week.

She'll be turning 8 prior to the start of the fall sports season, but don't you think that's still very young to expect specialization? She has not been assigned to teams yet, so we don't know what the practice schedule will be, but there could be overlap. Just because she isn't able to attend every practice for both teams does not mean that she's any less dedicated to either.

Seriously, how many 7YOs ask to stay after practice to get more pitches or footwork drills in? When she's not walking around the house working on her pitching motion, she's dribbling her little futsal ball. You'd have a hard time convincing me that most rec players - even those who do get to every practice for the one team they're on at the time - are that dedicated to their sports.

So yes, I am asking for special consideration, but I think children who can handle the workload should be encouraged to do multiple sports at this age. The more sports they play, the more likely they are to find one they really enjoy and can have success in.

I agree with you. Girls at younger ages should be encouraged to play more than one sport. If you are talking about rec softball and rec soccer, on most teams my DDs been on at the rec level you usually have two or three players obviously more dedicated than everyone else. Missing practice and/or games is not such a big deal at the rec level as most people are there for a little exercise and the social aspect. As DD gets up in age and girls are entering more competitive levels of play when everyone is dedicated to training thats when you need to respect the consequences of missing practices and or games. If over-scheduling happens and conflicts arise those girls committing to two or more sports/activities should not be treated as special. It sets a horrible precedent to other girls who are just as/ or even more committed and don't miss practice or games. When you start giving special treatment what you start building is a prima donna and it will be a shock to her when that one coach won't take the lack of commitment and she sits most of the game when she's used to starting. What you sometimes see then is the parents blame the coach for ruining her experience and how coach was not fair. They tell their DD how horrible the coach is and the girl believes it and wants to quit or find another team that will put up with her schedule.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan