Called strike bunt Attempt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2012
Raymond Ohio
Is your DD really going to care how you 'feel' when she gets called out 'looking' because she held the bat over the plate on an obvious ball and the umpire rung her up? Maybe during the home plate meeting before the game you can ask the umpire how they "understand the mechanics" of a bunt.....let me know how that works for ya! It is a judgement call by the umpire, so batter beware!

Okay will do. Never had it happen before. Before I stopped coaching this was never an issue that I can remember. Getting back this fall and next season. I have been trying to get familiar with the changes that have taken place since my absence. My comment about umpire understanding actually came from an umpire at the Colorado Fireworks Tournament a few years ago during a game. I do not have a daughter in the age group I will be coaching at this point. One thing you said was called out looking. I think you may have just made a point for that particular umpire blowing or making wrong call. Looking is what not moving to the ball is when pitch is not in the zone. If it is the rule that is what I will teach. I try to only focus on what we can control. However, if it is obvious we need to adjust then we have to do that. Thank you for your comments. Interesting...

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Is your DD really going to care how you 'feel' when she gets called out 'looking' because she held the bat over the plate on an obvious ball and the umpire rung her up? Maybe during the home plate meeting before the game you can ask the umpire how they "understand the mechanics" of a bunt.....let me know how that works for ya! It is a judgement call by the umpire, so batter beware!

That SHOULDN'T be necessary and many umpires will not respond to such a question at that time.

Like it or not, ASA is correct in their rules concerning a bunt attempt and is consistent with the rest of the rules. For a ball out of the strike zone to be rules a strike(other than a foul ball), the batter must attempt to hit the ball. End of story, no consideration given to the location or manner in which the bat is being held. If the batter doesn't attempt to strike the ball and it isn't in the strike zone, it is a ball. Calling it otherwise, is a misinterpretation of the rule and can be protested.

As it is now in NCAA, NFHS and I assume other rule sets, a batter could prepare to bunt and the pitch go over the backstop and if the batter has the bat extended over the plate, it is a strike! That is just outright stupid and an insult to any intelligent human being involved in the game of softball.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am of the opinion that most of the umpires understand that "squaring to bunt is a stance" holding a bat still when ball is out of zone is not an attempt to bunt and the call is to be made when ball is out of zone whether the bat is there or not as long as it is not moving. I think timing may play more of a key than we may realize. If we "square" late say as the ball is approaching the plate then I can see how there could be an argument of an attempt or judgement of such.

I do not feel pulling the bat out just to avoid a call is necessary. Especially if umpire understands mechanics and feels barrel of bat was coming back and the intent of the hitter was to bunt down first base line and in judgement calls strike. But in reality hitter was just "pulling out" to avoid a strike. L,ol so it goes on and on. Move it late to avoid a call and bat unintentionally gets in path of ball pops up and play is made for the out. Many arguments for and against I guess.

going outside the rule discussion here, but one does not pull the barrel of the bat back to bunt down the first base line. One moves the handle end of the bat for direction of the bunt, not the barrel end. Pulling the barrel of the bat back is never going to confused with offering

Jul 30, 2012
Raymond Ohio
going outside the rule discussion here, but one does not pull the barrel of the bat back to bunt down the first base line. One moves the handle end of the bat for direction of the bunt, not the barrel end. Pulling the barrel of the bat back is never going to confused with offering

Lol. I understand what you are saying and you are correct about pulling the barrel back. Hand away from the hip towards first base will bring barrel of bat back. I do not advocate pulling back of the barrel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00