Big fish or big pond ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2012
Our DD has just completed her first year of travel ball on a 12u team as a 9 year old playing up. It was a team of mostly all 11 year olds. We went in knowing she would be a younger player and wouldn't be a superstar but liked the organization and thought it would benefit her. She also played the year with her old rec team in a 10U loop. She is a pitcher who at the 10U level was completely dominate and at the squirt travel level she got a few chances to pitch and pitched fairly well but got into less than a quarter of the games. The travel team had 3 other pitchers who were a year older and DD often got overlooked as something of an underage novelty.

It was over-all a good experience but now looking ahead to next season we are torn in knowing what is best for her. Should we go back to the same travel team knowing that it will be a strong team but one where DD will be the 3rd or 4th pitcher or should we go to another team in the area in the same loop but without the same pitching depth.

We are inclined to have dd continue to play in the rec loop as she does get to log a fair number of extra game innings but don't know where we should be heading on the travel end. I have raised the issue with DD but she doesn't really express much opinion; she just loves to play and is extremely coachable-she soaks up info and is the sort of kid you tell something to once and you'll see it right away on the field but isn't really able to make this level of decision.

At this point the coaching is a bit of a wild card as we don't really know who is going to take these teams. Last season the head travel coach backed out quite often and the assistant took over and had several of their kids as players on the team. This led to the inevitable challenge as the coach's kids seemed to get a fair number of perks. I'd really prefer a team with a non-parent coach but I'm not sure we are going to get a clear answer prior to try-outs as to who will coach.

Apr 27, 2012
At that age I would keep her on the best 10U team you can find that she'll be the #1 or #2 pitcher. Ask the coaches plenty of questions, and ask last years parents how the season went. If you can't get straight answers, probably not the team for you.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If your DD has a good experience with her old team I would not look for another Team. I would keep her in Rec. so she can get circle time, sound like she gets some circle time in TB too.

I understand why you are thinking of moving her but if she had a good time why look for trouble just keep her there.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
If she can play for both teams again why change? She can get the upper level skill play with the TB team and pitching time with the rec-ball team. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

May 4, 2012
If you want her to develop as a pitcher - she needs mound time. Put her in an environment where she can develop her skill set.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Tough decision. We faced this with our DD this year at 14u. We decided to move to a team that was willing to pitch her as a #1 or 2. We felt mound time in as competitive environment as we could find would benefit her the most. Last year as a 12u, she played 16u rec and learned nothing as a pitcher and played 12u TB and learned an awful lot; She got lots of mound time in rec but learned absolutely nothing since they couldn't hit her pitching. Your DD would probably learn very little in rec (even playing up) on where to throw a pitch or not depending upon the batter's stance, practice swings, size, etc. etc. I would offer you the same advice as bullethead." Put her in an environment where she can develop her skill set,"....especially pitching which means lots of mound time.

Jun 11, 2012
Well IMO that depends on a lot of things. Quality of coaching for example. I can relay my experience from this past spring season. My DD was on a horrible team (my fault. Not enough research, and not enough knowledge and information) and she was most def big fish on the team. Which. Ironically worked out in our favor. She got a chance to really shine and have all the playing time she wanted. Take away her production this year and the 14 games out of 47 we won would have been cut nearly in half. And what that did was really boost her confidence which allowed her to perform extremely well at a tryout and be offered a spot on a very good level A club college exposure team. Oddly, without this past miserable season I honestly don't feel like she would have been confident enough to do it.

However. In your particular case it sounds to me your DD is always gonna be
The #3 or 4 pitcher because of her age. I clearly cannot tell you what's best for you but from what I can learn in your post, we would be looking for a different team. And not because your current team is bad. But my assumption is she will always be "low girl on the totem pole" and not get much playing time.

Aug 14, 2011
My opinion is: She won't get better if she doesn't play. And there is something to be said about being a more dominant player on a team at that age- she can build her confidence. She's young and needs a team where she will play. Find a team where she isn't at the bottom of the rotation. Had a similar experience when my daughter was younger and we changed teams. Best thing we ever did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck