Best and easiest Screwball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
With regards to moving up in the box, a lot of hitters have an in-between pitch routine that they need to do e.g.

hitting is at least 1/2 mental...if you think it helps then it probably will even if from an actual physical standpoint it will make no difference (or worse give a disadvantage...)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
With regards to moving up in the box, a lot of hitters have an in-between pitch routine that they need to do e.g.

hitting is at least 1/2 mental...if you think it helps then it probably will even if from an actual physical standpoint it will make no difference (or worse give a disadvantage...)

When catching like to look at a batter's initial stance in the box. Then to see when they get back in the box what adjustments they may have made. Up, back, out, in, feet changing, bat position...
Sometimes there's a tell in there pre-swing.

Jun 8, 2016
When catching like to look at a batter's initial stance in the box. Then to see when they get back in the box what adjustments they may have made. Up, back, out, in, feet changing, bat position...
Sometimes there's a tell in there pre-swing.
What happens if they don't change..changes hitter make in an AB should be between the ears. If you can detect that then I have some investment questions I'd like to ask you..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
What happens if they don't change..changes hitter make in an AB should be between the ears. If you can detect that then I have some investment questions I'd like to ask you..
Yep get it you're talking about mental adjustments. added physical judgments.

There are emotional players that show it on their sleeve and faces. Sometimes there is an emotional tell that happens in between pitches.
Can be for the good or the bad.

Sometimes players turn on their game face.
=better focus

Jun 8, 2016
Yep get it you're talking about mental adjustments. added physical judgments.

There are emotional players that show it on their sleeve and faces. Sometimes there is an emotional tell that happens in between pitches.
Can be for the good or the bad.

Sometimes players turn on their game face.
=better focus
My point was is if you move up in the box (or make any physical adjustment out of the norm) you are giving away information to the pitcher/catcher (as you stated) for what may be an inconsequential advantage at least from a physical perspective. That said, like I stated in my first post, if a hitter thinks it will help them then it probably will (same way with bats...).

There are good hitters who move around in the box and there are hitters who don't...that probably tells you something about how much of a physical advantage it gives a hitter.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If there was 'only one' specific spot in the box that worked best for 'everybody'~ everybody would do it.

That simply is not the case. Too many different things that affect what batters do, where they stand and why.
My point was is if you move up in the box (or make any physical adjustment out of the norm) you are giving away information to the pitcher/catcher (as you stated) for what may be an inconsequential advantage at least from a physical perspective.

👉Paying attention is the advantage!

Jun 8, 2016
Anyway, per usual, I have taken this thread further of the rails so I will stop.

Oct 14, 2019
I wonder if the batter moving up affects the umpire’s perception of the strike zone. If the strike zone remains unchanged by the batter’s position, a drop ball at the batter’s shoulders could very well be a strike when it crosses the plate. Seems like it might be an advantage for the catcher to have the batter in the front of the box also.

Jun 8, 2016
I wonder if the batter moving up affects the umpire’s perception of the strike zone. also.
Umpires are human..As an extreme example, would be interesting to see how different the actual called strike zones are for slappers vs non-slappers.

Oct 14, 2019
We play against a modern day Eddie Gaedel in our local 14U tournaments. She can’t hit a lick but still has a .500 OBP.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00