Best action camera

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Generally, a Smartphone and Facebook live is the easiest and cheapest (free, outside of any data plan limitations) option.

Thanks Josh. We are going with this option (on a LynkSpyder) and it's working well. We did overheat once (in March, yikes) so have some worry about the summer. I can try the cold towel in a zip lock bag, draped over the screen I suppose. Thanks for the tip.

Oct 4, 2018
The key is to keep the sun off the camera. I use a landscaping shade fabric that I clip onto the fence above the camera. This seems to work really well and I haven't had an overheat in 2 seasons. When the sun is in front of the camera, you're just SOL.

Curious to know more about this. I know what landscape fabric is, but eager to learn more. Do you use carabiners to attach the corners and just cover up the whole camera?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Curious to know more about this. I know what landscape fabric is, but eager to learn more. Do you use carabiners to attach the corners and just cover up the whole camera?

Using my masters degree in redneckery, at the time, I have just been cutting as needed and wrapping around the device in question. Sometimes going as far as using a rubber band. I can't in good faith post a picture.

We had hopes of using our production laser cutter to accurately cut these sheets to fit the common cameras. But cutting has proven to be....well, flammable. And the edges are not fray proof. So we really have not done too much more with it.

We've also used clothe pins to clip this material, cut to a rectangle, to the top of our bracket. The use clothes pins on the bottom to give it some weight. Again....redneckery and not terribly presentable.

And then there is also the trusty old ball cap:
1616439512220.png

Jul 13, 2017
We are using an old Samsung Galaxy S5 for recording, Iphone 12 for streaming. The cameras on the Galasy Sx phones are really good. I've done better with those than the cheaper (less than $100) action cameras. Plus the Samsung has replaceable microSD cards capability. Takes a 128 GB card without issue.

Feb 7, 2016

Amazon Link to the shade fabric I use
  • Provides up to 90-percent UV block
  • Manufactured of High Density Polyethylene which is knitted instead of woven, allowing heat and humidity to rise through fabric while reducing ambient air temperatures up to 33%
  • Weather resistant fabric
  • Protects with up to 90% UV block , Easy to clean
  • Allows cover to 'Breathe' reducing temperatures underneath by up to 32%

I've used the hat too! I have a couple of binder clips that I use to clip the fabric to the fence.

Feb 15, 2017
I'm hearing there is a a hard cap on andriod video recording time. Is that correct? If not a 1080P 30fps I can get 85 minutes at 10GB. Have a large SD card so I'd have more than enough room

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 10, 2019
I am in the market for a camera, but I do not want to break the bank. I found this as an alternative.

dji osmo

Has anyone used this?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I am in the market for a camera, but I do not want to break the bank. I found this as an alternative.

dji osmo

Has anyone used this?

This is a great little camera. My only complaint is that it has a fixed field of view. It isn't ultra wide and works for many fields. But frustrating that you cannot adjust the angle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles