Before game, between game, during game and after game nutrition.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
Sorry but I have to disagree with your premise that multi sport kids are playing at a different level, and therefore are not running as much as your's who only play one sport.

In fact I sort of think its either funny or myopic. My dd plays multiple sports, and regardless of the level, she is constantly moving during a softball game, whether she is pitching or catching she still does not get as much exercise as she gets in one basketball game. And no where near the amount of running that happens in one rec level soccer game.

In my opinion, average multi sport kids are in better shape then the average softball player. On a basketball team or a soccer team you don't have much room to carry a kid who is out of shape but she can kick hard, or dribble good. They have to be able to go up and down the field / court and while in the act of actual running perform. Softball on the other hand has positions and with it opportunity for larger girls who can do one thing well. Not knocking them I am happy to see them out enjoying the game, but its a fact that you don't have to be able to run well to excel in softball. So yes my multi sport dd sees softball as less physically challenging then most other sports, having done softball, swim, volleyball, basketball, soccer, and ran track she has had experience in a variety of sports.

It was a little jab at snuffer, no offense. It can go both ways though. There is the stud that can and will do it all. Fast, smart, agressive,.... You put them on any field and they can do it and dominate. Or the small town kids that play every sport becsuase the school only has X amount of students and they need all the players they can get. From my experience it seems that a lot of the kids that play multiple sports are not as serious as the ones that focus on one sport. They may do well in all but don't excel in any. And in no way am I slamming them. They would be more rounded but not specialized. If your dd knew she was going to go to college to play a specific sport, instrument, or for academics she would would be more likely to put more focus on getting every edge in that category. That is what my intentions were meaning, not that they were in any way inferior physically or nutrionally.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It was a little jab at snuffer, no offense. It can go both ways though. There is the stud that can and will do it all. Fast, smart, agressive,.... You put them on any field and they can do it and dominate. Or the small town kids that play every sport becsuase the school only has X amount of students and they need all the players they can get. From my experience it seems that a lot of the kids that play multiple sports are not as serious as the ones that focus on one sport. They may do well in all but don't excel in any. And in no way am I slamming them. They would be more rounded but not specialized. If your dd knew she was going to go to college to play a specific sport, instrument, or for academics she would would be more likely to put more focus on getting every edge in that category. That is what my intentions were meaning, not that they were in any way inferior physically or nutrionally.
We are one of those small schools and we do have a lot of 2 and 3 sport athletes. I understand what you are saying and it would seem to make a lot of sense on the surface. In the past 6 years our little school has "churned" out 5 div 1 athletes and all of them played 3 sports except for the one pole vaulter who lettered in 4 sports plus competed in an indoor track season.

I agree with much of what you are saying about nutrition. But the multi sport athlete is still desired by colleges

Jul 26, 2010
Even the kids that just play softball seriously train way harder on practice days then they will ever work on game days with multiple tournaments. That was my point really, not that softball players don't work hard, just that the game itself, the actual playing of the game, does not require that much energy. Yes, they're moving every play, for about 4 seconds, then they have 15-20 seconds of rest, and that's only when they're playing defense. Hopefully they're not playing defense the entire game ;

-W

Dec 20, 2012
We are one of those small schools and we do have a lot of 2 and 3 sport athletes. I understand what you are saying and it would seem to make a lot of sense on the surface. In the past 6 years our little school has "churned" out 5 div 1 athletes and all of them played 3 sports except for the one pole vaulter who lettered in 4 sports plus competed in an indoor track season.

I agree with much of what you are saying about nutrition. But the multi sport athlete is still desired by colleges

Small school and indoor track? Not like any small school around here. lol We also live in a somewhat small town. About 133 graduating. 2011 3 girls went D1 in sb(one with a WCWS championship ring), this year 2 more(possibly 3). Non of them played any other sport. And I said from my experience. I can't talk for all kids and all situations. Around here there are some very good atheletes that choose to play b-ball, sb, and run track. Those are about the only options we have. Cheerleading and some girls wrestle, only other 2 sports to choose from. I'm not debating right or wrong playing mutiple sports but playing multiple sports at an elite level is not the same as a football player that will play basketball in the offseaon or throw the discus. For MOST kids that are looking to play big time D1 ball, they will concentrate on one sport, year round.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Small school and indoor track? Not like any small school around here. lol We also live in a somewhat small town. About 133 graduating. 2011 3 girls went D1 in sb(one with a WCWS championship ring), this year 2 more(possibly 3). Non of them played any other sport. And I said from my experience. I can't talk for all kids and all situations. Around here there are some very good atheletes that choose to play b-ball, sb, and run track. Those are about the only options we have. Cheerleading and some girls wrestle, only other 2 sports to choose from. I'm not debating right or wrong playing mutiple sports but playing multiple sports at an elite level is not the same as a football player that will play basketball in the offseaon or throw the discus. For MOST kids that are looking to play big time D1 ball, they will concentrate on one sport, year round.

I have to say 3 girls in a year going to play Div 1 SB is a super track record for a program. Especially for a school that small.

The girl who did the indoor track did it as an individual and her dad took her around the country for it. Her schedule was brutal, but she still kept up great grades, made all area or better in each of her 4 sports and set the State Record in Pole Vault while being the starting pitcher on the SB team. Currently vaulting for a big ten school.

Dec 20, 2012
I have to say 3 girls in a year going to play Div 1 SB is a super track record for a program. Especially for a school that small.

The girl who did the indoor track did it as an individual and her dad took her around the country for it. Her schedule was brutal, but she still kept up great grades, made all area or better in each of her 4 sports and set the State Record in Pole Vault while being the starting pitcher on the SB team. Currently vaulting for a big ten school.

Yeah, it was pretty cool on signing day! I have no idea why but the small schools around here put out more college players than the large schools.

When I hear multi sport athlete I don't think track. Mainly because it is not very popular around here. Football, wrestling, softball, and ag. that's the big 4 lol. The school has it but it just fills a gap between basketball and summer ball(softball season is in the fall). Track would be the one other sport that would benefit them most(depending on the event) with the least amount of risk. Although my dd got on the HS track coach's bad side because she would not throw the discus and shot. She is big and strong and those would be the only track events that she could possibly excel. But she knew she would be playing college ball and had no interest in jeopardizing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing