Batting slump - when did your DD's end?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My DD's hitting slump began when she hit that home-run early in the HS season. Now she's way ahead of the pitch, fouling everything off to the left. She needs to WAIT. She also needs to keep her hands BACK by her back shoulders and let her lower half initiate.[/QUOTE]

Drills suggested by Mudvnine for another hitter on another site:
21ay3d4.jpg

rk3782.jpg

....try "fungoing" fly balls to the OF. I'm gonna guess that he's not going to stride, get his foot down, then toss the ball.....just as I'm gonna guess that he's not going to toss the ball, then quickly try to stride and get his foot down, before he swings.
Did you try the two drills ("Happy Gilmore" and "fungo") from the other thread? If not, try those first, if he did....try them some more. If he's still "hitting off his lead leg after that.....
16732xe.jpg

2j0kodx.jpg

Going to have DD do self toss tonight.
Sorry for the hi-jack.

Oct 10, 2011
My DD's hitting slump began when she hit that home-run early in the HS season. Now she's way ahead of the pitch, fouling everything off to the left. She needs to WAIT. She also needs to keep her hands BACK by her back shoulders and let her lower half initiate.[/QUOTE]

Drills suggested by Mudvnine for another hitter on another site:
21ay3d4.jpg

rk3782.jpg

16732xe.jpg

2j0kodx.jpg

Going to have DD do self toss tonight.
Sorry for the hi-jack.

This was the majority of our off season practice. What a difference!

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
DD hadn't been hitting that well for a few weeks. When pressed, she said her helmet's facemask blocked her vision. When I looked at it again, I could see her point. I bought her a new Rip-It helmet yesterday, and last night she went 3-4 with a walk.

Jan 24, 2009
Learning, are her mechanics good? As Rdbass mentioned, pitching improves over time and exposes mechanical shortcomings, so don't discount that, but...

Let's assume that her mechanics are pretty good. I would work on vision. <assume she doesn't need a check up/corrective measures here> Make sure her set-up allows for a good '2-eyed look' even through load/pre-launch. Go to the yard and make sure. Then do some front toss. Tell her to state which way the seams were spinning on every toss and mix it up. This immediately gathers some focus. Aftter some reps, start mixing in some baseballs to hit...smaller focus point. Do the seam bit if she isn't squaring up on baseballs.

Now, at my house, we have all manner of balls and bats, and we hit a LOT. Sometimes, if needed, I break out the juggs small balls (ping-pong size) and we occasionally scale it down to literally tossing pinto beans for the kids to hit. You want to talk about 'focus?' The eyes really begin to tune up. <Word of caution... wear eye protection and use a screen/net!>

Now, I rarely toss beans to DD anymore because we hit baseballs almost exclusively over softballs, and that size is good enough to sharpen the vision for now. When DD sees a softball, even if it is live pitching, she says it looks like a pumpkin and she squares up pretty darn good on pitching these days.

Anyway, since we don't have a library of video on your kid, it is sort of a crapshoot. I wouldn't sweat it and wouldn't tell her you are going to 'fix' anything...just add some new practice componants to freshen up the routine for her. "Baseballs...now that's different Dad!"

Good luck and send us an update when she's rippin' again.

Oct 25, 2009
My 13 year old daughter plays on a 14U B team and is in a batting slump. She used to be in the top 3 on her team for hitting percentage and frequently hit doubles, triples, home runs, RBIs, etc. She is now about 4-5 weeks into a batting slump where she just is not getting good hits. She has been walked a few times, but when she hits she mostly has gotten out. This past weekend she hit a couple of singles but nothing like what she had been doing earlier in the season.

She has had some back trouble and at this last tournament her shoulder started bothering her. This may have something to do with it but she was hitting fine after the back trouble started - it hasn't gone away though we are working on it, but I don't know why her hitting would change since she was hitting fine earlier with it.

Any thoughts? When your DDs have had slumps did they get back to their old selves eventually and if so, how long did it take? It's driving her crazy!

What have you done about the back trouble? And the shoulder? That could be more of a contributor than you think. Some kids will try to play through pain. My DD was one of those who would not let anyone know when she was in pain. Could tell a long, scary story about that but I'll spare you.

Have her examined by a doctor, whether she wants to or not. Take a break. Not necessarily from competition but maybe less physical stress in practice. Groove swinging instead of power swinging, for example.

Jul 2, 2013
Don't discount the affect injuries, like a back, has on a players confidence and swing.

Too many times parents and coaches insist on playing through injuries. Then wonder why there is a slump.

Sometimes taking two, or even three, weeks off is the best for a player. Once back to full strength and confidence level, it is amazing how fast people forget about an injury, when a DD is smacking the ball.

These players are young. Have plenty, I mean plenty of high level softball ahead of them. Make sure the injuries are taken care of, especially if time off is required. They are not robots.

Dec 3, 2008
Reasons why people go into a hitting slump (from The Mental Game of Baseball)

1. Seeing the ball is taken for granted. They concentrate more on stats, mechanics, etc.
2. Hitters begin to chase pitches they ordinarily take. In the midst of a good streak, they think, "These pitches look fat, I can hit anything." As a result, they lose their mental discipline and bad pitches lead to bad swings.
3. Overswinging.
4. Thinking more.
5. Over analyzes why they are doing too poorly OR really well.
6. Begin to wonder, "How long can I keep this good streak going?"

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like it when one of my hitters feels they are in a slump. Suddenly they are more eager to capture a point-of-emphasis (POE) that has eluded them prior. It presents an opportunity to enhance their swing and move them to a higher level.

I hit with a kid last night that felt she was in a slump. They batted 0.429 last weekend. She had been batting around 0.750, so she truly believed she was in a slump and wanted an improvement. The kid had video of her swings and we reviewed them. The needed point-of-emphasis to focus on was relatively easy to identify. Her hitting lesson went well and the kid attacked the POE and mastered it. By the end of the hitting session the kid had bought into the POE and learned how it improved her swing.

Bottom-line … take advantage of the opportunity. Slumps … real or perceived … present a golden opportunity for a kid to dig deeper and grasp points-of-emphasis that have eluded them in the past.

Jun 17, 2014
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. She sees a hitting coach who seems to be convinced that the problem is she's seeing pitching she is not used to. He has been telling her since she bats third she will get tougher and tougher pitches. He is working with her and thinks she has work to do but she'll be fine. Now that I think about it is probably true that earlier in the season the pitching wasn't as hard - at that time, the high school age teams in her 14U division were not playing yet as they were still finishing up high school season. Now we are facing all of those older 14U teams and the pitching is better. About her back - she has a knot in her lower back that bothers her - we have seen a chiropracter and are also taking her for an x ray just to see what's going on there. It does not seem too serious but I guess you never know. So we are following up on that too.

FiveFrameSwing I think you are right - if this is because of difficulty hitting better pitches and she gets out of this then this was definitely a 'phase' well worth going through!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz