Batting slump - when did your DD's end?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2014
My 13 year old daughter plays on a 14U B team and is in a batting slump. She used to be in the top 3 on her team for hitting percentage and frequently hit doubles, triples, home runs, RBIs, etc. She is now about 4-5 weeks into a batting slump where she just is not getting good hits. She has been walked a few times, but when she hits she mostly has gotten out. This past weekend she hit a couple of singles but nothing like what she had been doing earlier in the season.

She has had some back trouble and at this last tournament her shoulder started bothering her. This may have something to do with it but she was hitting fine after the back trouble started - it hasn't gone away though we are working on it, but I don't know why her hitting would change since she was hitting fine earlier with it.

Any thoughts? When your DDs have had slumps did they get back to their old selves eventually and if so, how long did it take? It's driving her crazy!

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD got out of it when I stopped talking about it. Took about 3 weeks of me not saying anything that was not solicited. Everybody wants to hit and they don't need to be reminded that they didn't or didn't hit well. Not saying this is your case but if you are doing the work to get past it and it's not helping, maybe go over your conversations and see if you aren't adding to it.

Dec 19, 2012
My 13 year old daughter plays on a 14U B team and is in a batting slump. She used to be in the top 3 on her team for hitting percentage and frequently hit doubles, triples, home runs, RBIs, etc. She is now about 4-5 weeks into a batting slump where she just is not getting good hits. She has been walked a few times, but when she hits she mostly has gotten out. This past weekend she hit a couple of singles but nothing like what she had been doing earlier in the season.

She has had some back trouble and at this last tournament her shoulder started bothering her. This may have something to do with it but she was hitting fine after the back trouble started - it hasn't gone away though we are working on it, but I don't know why her hitting would change since she was hitting fine earlier with it.

Any thoughts? When your DDs have had slumps did they get back to their old selves eventually and if so, how long did it take? It's driving her crazy!

Girls need to feel good in order to play good. The better she feels, the better she'll play, and the quicker she'll get out of that slump.

Oct 10, 2011
DD was in a really bad slump so I ordered this book and we both read it...
The Mental Keys to Hitting: A Handbook of Strategies for Performance Enhancement Paperback
by H. A. Dorfman (Author)
It seemed to put things in perspective and now she really has a great approach to the plate and is hitting smarter than ever. They had pulled her from the 5th spot, moved her to 9th, and now is at the 4th spot.

Jun 17, 2014
How many at-bats? There's always a question of when a slump is really a slump, meaning it's not just a random bad patch. That's probably a thread in itself.

She bats third (they haven't moved her yet but I won't be surprised if they do for this weekend). So, I would say a minimum of 3 at bats every game, and we play 3-4 games on Saturdays and lately only one or two on Sundays (team in general is in a bit of a slump too). So I think there have been plenty of at-bats to justify this as a slump. :(

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
My DD's hitting slump began when she hit that home-run early in the HS season. Now she's way ahead of the pitch, fouling everything off to the left. She needs to WAIT. She also needs to keep her hands BACK by her back shoulders and let her lower half initiate.

Mar 29, 2012
After I quit trying to fix her swing myself and took her to her now hitting coach. She went from batting .220 at the start of spring to batting .413 currently.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Might not be a 'slump. Might be the pitching your DD is facing is getting better. Might be a 'hole' in your DD swing is/has been exposed. Time will tell. If your DD hits her way out of the slump then it was just a slump. Slumps happen. If slump continues well it might be time to re-look at DD swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck