base running times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I couldn't find it on search for this age...Does anyone have base running times for the 14u age group? I know it was touched on in the slap hitting section, but I wanted a little more as far as Home to first, Home to second Home etc... She really wants to bring her time down, which is 3.3 home to first, with the occasional 3.2. I'm not sure of her other times though. A few of the girls on her team blow by her in sprints, but she narrows the gap as the distance grows longer. She does outweigh a couple of them by a good 50 pounds though. Thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD was 3.2 in HS, w/o much effort. She probably was about 5'8" and 115. That was very decent speed for HS competition. It isn't good enough for very tough travel ball schedules, though. A few girls in D1 programs can reach 2.6, but they are few and far between.

So, I think that these 2 measurements would mean that a girl would be considered speedy, if she could get to 3.0 and below.

Oct 10, 2011
Our time does not include swing of course... Just sprint from home to first. It seems when the swing is included, some of the girls "cheat" on the swing to get a quicker time.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD just turned 15 (frosh) and has done several college camps lately where they've timed her. She's 5' 2 1/2" and 113 lb. Home to 1st, swinging start she's 2.9 - 3.1. 1st to 2nd she's 2.8. Home to Home she's a little slower, around 12.25. I've heard that under 12.00 is a good H to H for high school. 40 yd dash 5.63. Her goal is to hit 2.7 by the end of her junior year and get her H to H time under 12.00.

Jul 26, 2010
The 20 yard dash is exactly that, standing start (not a sprinter start in blocks).

These are not elite level girls. These are girls attending a random NFCA camp (I think that was the Fireworks camp from 2011 in Colorado), and they are generally age 12-18. NFCA has several of these showcase camps, with the intent to give the players some time in front of college coaches. The results are sent to NFCA coaches.

-W

Feb 9, 2011
The 20 yard dash is exactly that, standing start (not a sprinter start in blocks).

These are not elite level girls. These are girls attending a random NFCA camp (I think that was the Fireworks camp from 2011 in Colorado), and they are generally age 12-18. NFCA has several of these showcase camps, with the intent to give the players some time in front of college coaches. The results are sent to NFCA coaches.

-W

That makes alot more sense to me now. My DD is a 99 and ran a 2.9 stand 20 yard dash today at track practice. Her time splits if anyone is interested for comparison were;

10 yard- 1.8 seconds
20 yard- 2.9 seconds
40 yard- 6.3 seconds

This is without blocks starting in a sprinters stance with tennis shoes on an indoor running track.

Oct 10, 2011
Maybe this question can't be answered, but is it realistic for my daughter to get her time from 3.3/3.4 to 3.0 over the next couple years? That's her goal...she goes to a trainer and is planning on trimming down 10-15 lbs (doctor said it would be good for her).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. She will be surprised what a little weight loss will do. But, it makes sense doesn't it? You can't be very fast if you are carrying a bowling ball around. Strengthening her legs and core are going to help, too.

Many women twist side to side, at their waist, instead of moving the arms like a freight train. You can become better at running.

Jan 15, 2009
I think most athletes that get into optimal physical shape for sprinting can get that time down to 3.0 with enough work and emphasis. Getting below that is like getting your fastball over 65 mph, can't happen for everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PHguy