Base runner out or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Base runner on 3rd base with one out. Batter hits a pop fly ball that ultimately ends up in foul territory by 3rd base.

Base runner takes lead off with release of pitch, but turns and quickly returns to base once she sees it is a fly ball. As the base runner is returning to the bag, 3B runs into the base runner and the ball lands foul.

Blue ruled foul ball on batter, base runner out for colliding with 3B.

I think this is the right call... however spectators were arguing among themselves about the ruling. Some felt that the base runner is entitled to be going back to the base so the contact should not matter. Again, I think the ump made the right call and the base runner is out.

In between innings, however, the ump came over and "talked" to the fans about the call and said to the effect that "even if the base runner was standing on 3rd base and had never moved off the bag, she HAS to get out of the way of 3B trying to field the foul ball and that if 3B ran into the base runner while she was standing on the bag the base runner would have been out."

Was he right?

Feb 3, 2011
If R1 interfered with a pop-up and was called out for it, why wasn't the batter called out, too?

ASA rule book point of emphasis 33.A.1. c&d covers this situation perfectly.

c. the runner can not be called out for interference while in contact with the base unless the umpire deems it intentional
d. if there is interference on a foul ball, the ball is dead, it is a strike and the batter remains at bat

Jun 22, 2008
My take on the wording of the original post was contact occured prior to the runner returning to 3rd base. The umpire ruled it interference and called the runner out. Speaking ASA, 8-7-J-L Exception now comes into effect. If the umpire judged the ball to be catchable with normal effort, both the runner and batter should have been called out on the play.

Comp you are always correct on these things I am wondering how the Point of Emphasis squares with the rule they seem to contradict, but as usual am sure I am missing something can you help. or is it that the rule is if they miss catching a foul ball the batter remains at bat UNLESS in the umpires judgement it would have been caught with normal effort then the batter is out as well.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
My take on the wording of the original post was contact occured prior to the runner returning to 3rd base. The umpire ruled it interference and called the runner out. Speaking ASA, 8-7-J-L Exception now comes into effect. If the umpire judged the ball to be catchable with normal effort, both the runner and batter should have been called out on the play.

In this particular case, the ball was not "catchable" even if the contact had not occured. So the umpire called it simply a foul ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In between innings, however, the ump came over and "talked" to the fans about the call and said to the effect that "even if the base runner was standing on 3rd base and had never moved off the bag, she HAS to get out of the way of 3B trying to field the foul ball and that if 3B ran into the base runner while she was standing on the bag the base runner would have been out."

Was he right?

speaking ASA, ISF, NFHS & NCAA, no. A runner is not required to abandon a base to make way for a fielder, even for a batted ball. However, the runner cannot interfere with the fielder while in contact with the base.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414