Avoiding hit strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
The high/low I can see, and even laterally an inch or two off. When a pitch is 5-6 inches off, it never touched the plate. I don't even need the panel to see that.

Good, because the panel isn't accurate, and neither is the offset diagonal view on TV.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Whats the rule? Bc these 8 yr old girls when ball is coming at them, will drop the bat, jump, etc. But its clear they werent swinging. I dont think it should be a strike on swing if they drop their hands or bat and jump back to avoid being hit. Seems like umps dont get the ruling on that.
If a batter is twisting out of the way of a pitch and the ball hits the bat, if it’s fair and the batter is safe at first. What’s that? Do you count it as a hit? Or is it something else? Your answer needs to be consistent .

May 27, 2022
Well, it certainly looks like some of these guys need something. I see pitches 5-6 inches off the plate getting called strikes. That's hard to overlook when the umpire is getting $40 per game. It's really bad when they're making six figures.

How about this? DII pitch called a strike... (I highlighted for clarity)

Outside Strike.jpg

May 27, 2022
If a batter is twisting out of the way of a pitch and the ball hits the bat, if it’s fair and the batter is safe at first. What’s that? Do you count it as a hit? Or is it something else? Your answer needs to be consistent .
Assuming the defense couldn't react and get to the ball in time to make a play - it is a hit. That is why it's called a batting average.

May 27, 2022
Highlighted what for clarity? The catchers head? The catchers mitt? None of those matter. What was the ball path?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highlighted the catcher's mitt and generally its lateral position when the ball crossed the plate. The catcher is reached out as far as she can to catch the ball - that is, generally, at the back of the batters box. I do not have a copy of the original video. however, I also don't believe that a pitcher can throw a ball that catches the front corner of the plate and by the time it travels 38" to the mitt that it can be 12" off the plate travelling at a 30+ degree angle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad