Average exit velocity by age

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Why would you say that?
Pop times can be accuratly measured with "technoquiptment'
Yes i made that word up :)

Completely disagree its non-sense!

In fact i know its important and deffinetly a useful assesment in selecting catchers and recruitment!
Pop time is actually more important than throwing speed! This should be a different post....
I know there's a girl in Florida that has done a lot of work on pop times and exit velocity etc and some of the results may be surprising. It doesn't matter how fast pop time and exit velocities are in drill compared to in them game when you have to get to ball to the right spot as well. Look up dominate the dish on Facebook

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This coversation is regarding measuring performance.
Which can be done.

Thats the point.
This is the fact.

These performance results are viewed and utilized by coaches at all levels including Colleges and beyond.

Mar 10, 2020
DD has tryout this weekend where exit velocity will be measured. Got me wondering what an average exit speed is for an 11YO (tryout is for 12U). I looked online and at a thread on DFP but it was from 2016. I have had more luck getting better feedback and good information from members here than I have anywhere else.
These people have a good reputation.
Look up Allisters Index.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Unless you have consistency in the way data is collected, the data is garbage. Pop times are only as reliable as the method used for collection which is suspect at best. Pop times are useless for comparison outside of the event when they were collected.

Totally disagree, I don't think there are 5 different standards to measure pop time by. The time it takes for the ball hitting the catchers glove to hitting the 2B/SS glove is the only metric that I've ever heard of used.

Regarding accuracy and whether or not a catcher "cheats", that is another story. FWIW, it is easier to be accurate with a stopwatch when something (the ball) is moving prior to starting the timer. Starting a stopwatch on movement, aka home to first sprint is WAY harder to be within .1sec. Accuracy should be .01 to .05 sec with the stopwatch on pop time.

Best yet is a skills video or game video showing the catcher low in the receiving stance and an embedded timer on the video. That is truly an apples to apples metric.

Mar 10, 2020
Totally disagree, I don't think there are 5 different standards to measure pop time by. The time it takes for the ball hitting the catchers glove to hitting the 2B/SS glove is the only metric that I've ever heard of used.

Regarding accuracy and whether or not a catcher "cheats", that is another story. FWIW, it is easier to be accurate with a stopwatch when something (the ball) is moving prior to starting the timer. Starting a stopwatch on movement, aka home to first sprint is WAY harder to be within .1sec. Accuracy should be .01 to .05 sec with the stopwatch on pop time.

Best yet is a skills video or game video showing the catcher low in the receiving stance and an embedded timer on the video. That is truly an apples to apples metric.
Embedded timer on video is what we use for running speed.

Jul 9, 2020
You can be a smartass all you want. Shes also bigger than most kids her age, she 5'4 and about 140 lbs. Found an old picture from last September. Here she was rotating with her teammate. She was from 49-57. We've been using hitting vault which has helped her power.
I know this is an old thread. My kid just turned 11. She’s 5’6, 160 lbs. they measured her exit velo off of a tee with a pocket radar today at 59-63. At a different camp a few months ago, they used the same approach and told her that her exit velo was 62 (they gave us slips of paper with our kids stats - exit velo, speed to first, speed all 4 bases, overhand throw mph, etc.). She has also hit home runs on 200’ field vs 12u pitchers throwing ~55mph. She’s wildly inconsistent, so no one has called Oklahoma yet. 🤣🤪😂🤣

All that said, it’s possible at a young age. I have to assume the people running the camp know what they’re doing. I don’t know anything about it, which is why I googled and this post came up.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Time will tell. I’ve seen plenty of above average players in 10u and 12u simply because they were early bloomers and basically fully grown women playing with children. Some of these were still the same player at 16u and had been left behind by more athletic peers that had finally caught up in physical growth. Others continued to develop and are still excellent players. It just depends and every child and every journey is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2020
Time will tell. I’ve seen plenty of above average players in 10u and 12u simply because they were early bloomers and basically fully grown women playing with children. Some of these were still the same player at 16u and had been left behind by more athletic peers that had finally caught up in physical growth. Others continued to develop and are still excellent players. It just depends and every child and every journey is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree with that. My daughter is the largest and the strongest. I tell her all the time everyone is going to catch up, and if you love this and want to be the best at it, you have to be willing to work hard. To your point, time will tell. Maybe she will, maybe she won't. The parents in my area all think their kid is going D1. It's a bit mad.

Most are doing 2-3 travel practices per week, tournaments and scrimmages every weekend (in northeast winter too), playing Rec, and going to pitching and hitting lessons PLUS conditioning on their day off. Our team is middle of the road with this -- not crazy busy, but not taking a lot of time off either. Facebook is filled with every softball kids parent posting their 11u max pitching speed at lessons -- the highest someone posted the other day is 58 MPH at 11. Most are 52 MPH - 56 MPH. They are 11 and everyone is already talking about high school, where each kid will play, what their order in the line up is, who will be the starting pitchers, etc. I just laugh. There are plenty of athletes out there that may have not even tried softball yet.

Oct 3, 2019
Totally agree with that. My daughter is the largest and the strongest. I tell her all the time everyone is going to catch up, and if you love this and want to be the best at it, you have to be willing to work hard. To your point, time will tell. Maybe she will, maybe she won't. The parents in my area all think their kid is going D1. It's a bit mad.

Most are doing 2-3 travel practices per week, tournaments and scrimmages every weekend (in northeast winter too), playing Rec, and going to pitching and hitting lessons PLUS conditioning on their day off. Our team is middle of the road with this -- not crazy busy, but not taking a lot of time off either. Facebook is filled with every softball kids parent posting their 11u max pitching speed at lessons -- the highest someone posted the other day is 58 MPH at 11. Most are 52 MPH - 56 MPH. They are 11 and everyone is already talking about high school, where each kid will play, what their order in the line up is, who will be the starting pitchers, etc. I just laugh. There are plenty of athletes out there that may have not even tried softball yet.
My granddaughter didn’t start playing until the 2nd year of 12u rec. with girls that had been playing together since they were 6. She graduated to a travel team that fall, then Covid and missed a year. She’s not burning it up but definitely holding her own and always improving. She’s trying out for high school ball this week so we shall see. It’s a very competitive high school team with several committed seniors. Luckily they have a JV team…

Jul 9, 2020
My granddaughter didn’t start playing until the 2nd year of 12u rec. with girls that had been playing together since they were 6. She graduated to a travel team that fall, then Covid and missed a year. She’s not burning it up but definitely holding her own and always improving. She’s trying out for high school ball this week so we shall see. It’s a very competitive high school team with several committed seniors. Luckily they have a JV team…
Makes sense to me. My daughters hitting coach, she didn't play fast pitch until she was 16, and still ended up with a D2 scholarship. Or course, she was an athlete and played other sports. I just don't get the mentality of specializing so young. It feel like FOMO to me (fear of missing out).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles