Are Composite Bats Demonstrably Better?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 24, 2012
Chicago, IL
This is true, but it is also true that (at one point at least) Tiger Woods could probably buy Walmart (ok not really..but you get the point). Note this is not me
saying that there is no difference between aluminum and composite, this is me saying that sometimes (for various reasons) it makes sense to buy
the 2 year model of maybe the not hottest composite bat out there vs jumping on the new model...
Oh I agree 100% on buying used older bats especially for younger kids. And yes Tiger would still destroy me with his Walmart clubs 🤣.

Jun 8, 2016
And yes Tiger would still destroy me with his Walmart clubs 🤣.
yeah..even on one leg which is how he would have to play right now.. :cautious:

Edit: It is also true that Tiger did play with (for a good portion of his prime) somewhat inferior equipment supposedly due to his Nike contract..

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019
Serious question and not trying to start any internet arguments.

I am new to the fastpitch softball world as my 10yo daughter started playing rec ball this spring. I’m not sure what information is needed to possibly answer my question(s), so here goes:

My daughter is 10 years 7 months old, 4’11” tall and 87lbs. She has previously competed in gymnastics and is currently competing in BJJ. In short, a tall-ish, strong athlete.

As stated above, she started playing this year and is currently using an Easton Topaz 30/20 Aluminum bat that we bought from Walmart for $35.

We have been doing weekly hitting lessons with a hitting coach along with going to the fields/cages on our own a few times a week. Current hittrax exit velocity average is 48mph with a high of 53mph. (As a numbers guy, I also have all of her hitting stats from last season, if those are necessary).

At our last lesson, the hitting coach pulled me aside and stated that she really should be swinging a composite bat. Basically telling me that her current bat is holding her back and to get a new one ASAP. At least that was my interpretation of it.

So TL;DR:

At this age and skill level does a composite bat make a difference? I’ve tried searching and reading the last week or so, I see everyone recommending composite, but why? I’m clearly overthinking this, but I am also genuinely curious.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your new to composite bats I would suggest researching caring for the bat if you buy one. They are not supposed to be used in cages / pitching machine , not to be used when temps drop below a certain temperature , you shouldnt store then in a cold garage , new bats should be “ broken in “ etc.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
At our last lesson, the hitting coach pulled me aside and stated that she really should be swinging a composite bat. Basically telling me that her current bat is holding her back and to get a new one ASAP. At least that was my interpretation of it.

To be clear, it's holding back her results. It's not going to hurt her development as a hitter.

I could even make the argument that it could help her development as a lot of the composites can cover up mistakes/not great mechanics. Using that crappy bat is going to force her to make really good contact to see anything positive.

So maybe the answer is to get a nice bat for games, but keep using the $35 bat in practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad