Asked to move up with team - Wrong to ask which players are staying?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
My take on age groups;

12U is for rah, rah, go for the trophies, have fun, because much sooner than you think, it is a business.

Serious players go as fast as they can to 16U. 16U gets combined with 18U many times. After 12U it is time to learn to play with the BIG girls.

14U is a waste for the hitters. Hitters need to see HS speed. 14U is valuable for the pitchers to be #1 or #2 and get the reps needed that they may not get in 16U.

We skipped 14U, after 12U, and went directly to 16U. Took our lumps, and quicker than you might think, could battle right with the older girls.

I would ask who will move up, and go further and try to get everyone to move up. It is now a business, should be thought of as a business, and acted as such. A year or so from now players will be moving back and forth "per season". The fun begins to lessen, and players freely, and rightfully, start moving to the highest level team who wants them.

The parents who resist, blame the good players who "abandon" them, are doing so for their best interests. Soon they catch on as soon as a better team offers. It turns into a roller coaster, expect it.

What are you calling high school speed? 14u pitchers on good teams bring it mid 50's to 60, same as high school. Our 12u pitcher was throwing a legitimate 58, she is not starter on her Junior High team. That being said, I know 2, area high schools that don't have a pitcher above 54 with less control that some 12u kids. I guess it depends on the area you are in as to what the competition level at different age groups is. It would almost be criminal to put a 13u kid out here with 18u's
Of course I am giving you great examples of outstanding pitchers for their age, but nonetheless it is a fact. Maybe if you are playing rec or c ball you could get away with this but A and B?? Someone could get hurt.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
It would almost be criminal to put a 13u kid out here with 18u

Not really, a bunch do it. We did it to ours. Won WFC World Series (Myrtle Beach) at 12U, went to 14U for the fall, and won a couple tourneys, and started spring at 16U. Never won a tourney that year, but learned a bunch.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It would almost be criminal to put a 13u kid out here with 18u's

Generally, you are correct. But, it depends on the kid. At 13YOA, my DD was better against 18Us than 14Us. At 18U, there wasn't as much variation in player size, so she didn't have to continuously change her location. The umps are generally better at 18U as well.

Also, how about this kid: Crown Point's Elish verbally commits to play softball at Oregon : Preps

I have a feeling she does quite well against 18Us.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
If you play top A14 level compared to lower level u18 I think you could see better pitching. My DD plays u14 and picks up for a U18 team and the pitching is night and day. A top U14 pitcher beats a slower U18 any day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz