ASA Qualifier - Subs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
Curious to know what the rule is for picking up/playing subs during an ASA qualifier is. I thought that if a team picked up a player and they received an ASA bid then the sub player was "locked" onto that team and they couldn't play with their regular team.

True or False?

This situation doesn't affect me as this team is in a different age bracket. Just curious..

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not an expert, but here is my understanding of the rules:

When you play an ASA qualifier the entire team is required to "sign in". Once you sign in at a qualifier you are "redlined" to that team, and cannot play for another team in an ASA qualifier unless you are released by the coach of the team you are redlined to.

Once a team earns a berth to ASA nationals their roster is "locked" and they are only allowed to add, I believe, up to 3 players for nationals.

Playing in a different age group is another issue. If a 14 year old "plays up" in a 16U ASA qualifier and is redlined to a 16U team, they are NOT allowed to move down and play for a 14U team in ASA qualifiers, even if the 16U coach releases her.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Curious to know what the rule is for picking up/playing subs during an ASA qualifier is. I thought that if a team picked up a player and they received an ASA bid then the sub player was "locked" onto that team and they couldn't play with their regular team.

True or False?

This situation doesn't affect me as this team is in a different age bracket. Just curious..

Believe this to be true.

Nov 14, 2011
An update to my earlier post and a clarification. First, my DD is not affected, she plays 14u and this was a 16u team that was using subs. I just wanted to point out that I'm not whining about what was going on as it has no impact to my DD or her team.

The team lost their first game on Sunday so they won't be receiving any "births" into the ASA Nationals. But the question still stands.

Are the players that sub for a team during a qualifier "locked" for that team if that team decides to play ASA Nationals? I always thought that was the case but a couple parents said it wasn't true. Looking for an official to come forward and explain the rule on subs for a qualifier.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz