ASA holding new event w/ $6k entry fee and prize money

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
How does this 1 tournament affect all other tournaments within ASA? If it's ok for ASA to pay teams based on performance will this filter down to the local circuit? For instance ASA states in your home state now charges $1K for entry pays top 3 places (4 teams)? I could see this model become increasingly more dangerous as coaches will start paying players to roster with them. This is nothing more than every college football booster paying the 5 star recruit some cash to play for team X.

How much is a 14U pitcher throwing 52-55mph worth? In Southern California probably not much, but in say Delaware or Maryland probably a lot more and there are plenty of tournaments and colleges around that area also. Could be a lot of money flying around here very shortly. The first ABC org to offer cash prizes at every tournament is going to see a lot more teams register for tournaments. $$ is after all the biggest concern for the 99% of teams not included in this event.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You would think ASA covered the eligibility aspect with NCAA before offering this.
Personally do not like the whole thing, but to each his own.

How does payment to the softball organization even come close to any NCAA eligibility rule? If that were the case, you better cancel every bowl game played as that is exactly what happens there, well, at least for the very few the realize a profit

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
The NCAA clearinghouse asks specific questions about playing for money...as a parent of a athlete, this idea kind of turns my stomach. Is this what it has come to? I am glad DD is just about done with all of this. So much for playing because a love for the game...

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Even though the money is paid to the organization you know it will be filtered down to the player in some way or the other. Besides room cost and other travel expenses a team of 10 rostered girls would be looking at $600 a piece for entry fees. How can anyone ask that of a parent or player and not return some of that prize money to them? Get ready for team fees to jump on the or go that are invited. We all know that an organization is not going to front the 6k.

Expect 18-20 players per team. That cuts the per family cost in half. And how does that serve the 6-8 players that don't get adequate playing time?
I'm pretty sure it was noted at the softball conference this year that "participation in girls softball is falling because the girls aren't having fun". How does a high pressure, money grubbing event like this( that will undoubtedly come with a money line in Las Vegas:rolleyes:) help renew interest in the game?

Apr 25, 2010
We will be discussing this topic on The Softball Zone radio show tonight on Talk shoe. 8pm EST if anyone would like to listen or call in and comment.

Mar 26, 2013
I asked the FCS author about 16U teams and college players. Here's his response.

I spoke with ASA… right now it’s just the 60 18U teams they invited. Not open up to 16U yet! And no college players, just players on the 18U teams.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Since we're now apparently allowing gambling to enter the world of youth amateur sports ($4000 of the $6000 entry fee goes back to the teams in cash prizes), why not open up some pari mutuel betting on it as well?

Mar 26, 2013
Since we're now apparently allowing gambling to enter the world of youth amateur sports ($4000 of the $6000 entry fee goes back to the teams in cash prizes), why not open up some pari mutuel betting on it as well?
So softball is a game of chance?
There is an element of chance in softball like all sports. If there wasn't, the results would be completely predictable and it would be pointless to play the games, let alone bet on sports.

A big part of development is increasing consistency in performing at the highest level (i.e. reducing "chance"), however no one reaches perfection all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom