ASA holding new event w/ $6k entry fee and prize money

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 24, 2011
I think desperate is a bit of an overstatement. When you step back and look at the big picture PGF is minor player enjoying a niche market when compared to ASA and other associations.

PGF is a minor player? Really? PGF has many, if not most, of the best teams.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The more I learn about this tournament, the more I question the reasoning behind it. IMO, this will only further alienate teams that are already looking for alternative National tournaments due to finances or other reasons.

If ASA was truly interested in building/restoring it's reputation as THE SB powerhouse organization, I think that an ASA sponsored SB version of the NFL's Punt, Pass and Kick competition would serve it far better. For a nominal fee, every ASA rostered player could compete and the winners move onto regionals, states, zones, nationals etc. There are far too many great players out there that are playing on "lesser" (for lack of a better word) teams that will never get seen. At least if this system, or something like it was used, all ASA players who wanted to would not only have the opportunity to participate, but the JO team would truly have the best players from across the country as opposed to only those players that were the best financed. Plus it would have the added benefit of money going into ASA's coffers and wouldn't alienate various players and teams since anyone could participate.

Feb 7, 2013
It is a business not a fan club. With respect to number of participants PGF is a very small player.

I wouldn't overlook PGF's stature in the high-level travel ball circuit. They may be relatively small in overall numbers (heck they have only been around for 5 years) but the teams that play in their national tournaments are some of the best teams in the nation. There is a reason why teams like the Gold Coast Hurricanes (FL), Beverly Bandits (IL) and Texas Gold come to PGF Nationals to play the SoCal Firecrackers, SoCal Athletics, Corona Angels, and OC Batbusters teams. So they can compete against some of the best teams in the nation. ASA nationals is not what it used to be say 10 years ago. For example, the top travel ball teams in the West region don't even play in any qualifiers for ASA nationals and instead focus on Triple Crown Sports (TCS) and PGF tournaments.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I wouldn't overlook PGF's stature in the high-level travel ball circuit. They may be relatively small in overall numbers (heck they have only been around for 5 years) but the teams that play in their national tournaments are some of the best teams in the nation. There is a reason why teams like the Gold Coast Hurricanes (FL), Beverly Bandits (IL) and Texas Gold come to PGF Nationals to play the SoCal Firecrackers, SoCal Athletics, Corona Angels, and OC Batbusters teams. So they can compete against some of the best teams in the nation. ASA nationals is not what it used to be say 10 years ago. For example, the top travel ball teams in the West region don't even play in any qualifiers for ASA nationals and instead focus on Triple Crown Sports (TCS) and PGF tournaments.

Agree with you 100%. They enjoy a niche market in the big picture. They serve the top 1% of teams and do that quite well. However, in many locations such as Florida PGF can't even hold a qualifier due to lack of interest. That said ASA and other associations are not going anywhere.

Sep 18, 2011
PGF is a minor player? Really? PGF has many, if not most, of the best teams.

I'm sure Riseball would agree with you on that, but his point relates to the overall number of registered teams, and not to the "best of the best" which is but a tiny fraction of the whole. His point refers to quantity, not quality.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
PGF and ASA have two totally different business models. Kind of the difference between getting $1 million dollars from 1 person or $1 from 1 million people. I do agree that ASA Nationals have lost its luster and they probably need to reconsider what they are doing. IMO they need to fined venues that offer more than just lots of ball fields and hotels. Over the years my teams have been a regular at ASA Nationals but the recruiting value is minimal and while I like places like Johnson City, TN I would never go there were it not for softball. When I look at what families prefer and bang for the buck USFA in Panama City, FL is starting to look pretty good.

Mar 26, 2013
I think desperate is a bit of an overstatement. When you step back and look at the big picture PGF is minor player enjoying a niche market when compared to ASA and other associations.
As others have posted, it's not about quantity. ASA has a lot of pride and it hurts their FP national championships lost preeminent status. Some ASA umpires worked hard to move up the ranks in hopes of ultimately getting to work Gold Nats - and now that doesn't have nearly the appeal as it did before PGF.

In fact, ASA's size and diverse interests are why PGF was founded. A large portion of ASA was/is mainly interested in slow pitch and they were non-responsive to the concerns and interests of high-level fast pitch, so they left and formed PGF.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I always thought PGF was founded to help keep Southern California Softball relevant in the face of a marked increased of talent elsewhere especially from the South East. :)

Mar 26, 2013
I always thought PGF was founded to help keep Southern California Softball relevant in the face of a marked increased of talent elsewhere especially from the South East. :)
lol There has been a great increase in talent across the country. However, SoCal will always be relevant. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom