Are we having a bat drag issue? Any suggestions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2014
My DD is starting her third season and I want to make sure she is on the right track but don't know where to begin. Many thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Drag or whatever, she is pretty long to the ball. Many girls that swing similiar are the best power hitter on their 12u teams, but can't catch up or adjust in 14u.
Learn about coiling. Learn about turning the barrel to the ball...snapping the barrel into the zone to start the launch, not pulling the bat forward then getting the barrel into the zone.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Yes you have a bat drag issue. Watch the rear elbow work underneath the hands. You don't want that. While that is happening the ball is coming at her and the barrel is going no where. She will be late with fast pitching and spray a bunch of foul balls to right field.

Apr 26, 2014
Thanks for all the comments. Working hard but it seems if we fix the bat wrap we get the bat drag and vice versa. Did a video at a friends with frame by frame which seemed better but then got home and it was back to the previous. The keeping her hands high helped but she keeps wanting to drop then down and back to her shoulder with the wrap move. Frustrating but we keep trying to find something she can feel to help.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
The concept of the training tool below will help. You can buy one (a little expensive but hey if you can afford it why not) or make one out of pvc pipe (that is what I have done) or just understand the concept. Think about idea that from swing initiation the top hand and forearm are turning the barrel with the rotation of the torso, not pulling the bat along. If that doesn't make sense see what you pick up fom the video:

Apr 26, 2014
Well I ordered one and I made one. Don't have the video up yet but she before we had to leave she hit one ball with and one without and that swing without showed no issues with that back elbow so it may just work. I'm worried about the swing after contact since the arms are bound but we shall see.

The wrapping of the bat I see now seems to come from the big shoulder turn she takes when she loads. Any ideas of what we should do with that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish