Are sports pricing themselves out of the market?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
maybe both- if it is fantastic team?

Then she is being helped because she is a fantastic player.

My point was really that I find it hard to believe that coaches are paying out their own pockets for a girl (who is just a player who can make the team) and not a girl that is helping their team win and in turn, making the coaches look better because the team wins and they want to keep her around for that fact. Since travel teams are more cut throat than league or school ball for the most part.

If they are helping out of pure kindness, then its a very cool thing they are doing

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
The best teams are very expensive, however, there are also a fair amount of teams that compete at the same tournaments that are very affordable. I know of two teams in this area where the kids only pay for their travel, and team/uniform/practice fees are covered in entirety by sponsors.

In addition, the "best teams" that are extremely expensive also provide scholarships (read do not charge a dime) to the most talented players. This is why you have teams with 3-5 kids on a bench, those kids are paying for the more talented kids on the field that may not be able to afford it.

-W

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
WOW! Pay so the better kids can play and you can watch?

Welcome to the world of travel ball !
No where in the travel ball world is there a guarantee of fair. League ball tries to accomplish that.

Players and families always have the option to go with another team or play league if they aren't happy with the travel ball team or situation. Maybe not the answer most would like to see, but it is the answer.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Is this girl fantastic or only just good enough to make the team?

Quite a bit of both. She earned her spot on our team over a year ago and has since developed into our catcher/shortstop (our top 2 catchers rotate through SS) and batting 6th or so. Started out in RF/8th and has worked her way into these roles. Great kid.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Quite a bit of both. She earned her spot on our team over a year ago and has since developed into our catcher/shortstop (our top 2 catchers rotate through SS) and batting 6th or so. Started out in RF/8th and has worked her way into these roles. Great kid.

Then kudos to you and your staff for helping a kid and a family that need it

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Then she is being helped because she is a fantastic player.

My point was really that I find it hard to believe that coaches are paying out their own pockets for a girl (who is just a player who can make the team) and not a girl that is helping their team win and in turn, making the coaches look better because the team wins and they want to keep her around for that fact. Since travel teams are more cut throat than league or school ball for the most part.

If they are helping out of pure kindness, then its a very cool thing they are doing

I would like to think we are doing it because she really is a fantastic kid and everyone really does like having her and her family around. It is hard to separate because she has become an important part of our team over time and you can't deny that she absolutely does help us win.

Would we be doing it if she was the girl sitting on the bench? For her - I absolutely believe yes. She deserves it, she works hard and she adds to the team just because of who she is. Easy call in my opinion - everyone wants her there. Would I be throwing extra money in for a player moping at the end of the bench and not putting the effort in we would like to see - probably not, but then that sort of player doesn't make our team anyway.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I would like to think we are doing it because she really is a fantastic kid and everyone really does like having her and her family around. It is hard to separate because she has become an important part of our team over time and you can't deny that she absolutely does help us win.

Would we be doing it if she was the girl sitting on the bench? For her - I absolutely believe yes. She deserves it, she works hard and she adds to the team just because of who she is. Easy call in my opinion - everyone wants her there. Would I be throwing extra money in for a player moping at the end of the bench and not putting the effort in we would like to see - probably not, but then that sort of player doesn't make our team anyway.

You are definitely not the "norm" of competitive kids sports anymore. And its kinda refreshing. I fully expected to hear that she was the starting number 1 pitcher or the hammer at the plate for the team. I was gonna laugh a little bit.

Also, thank you for not getting all defensive when I asked the question. It wasn't meant to start an argument and I appreciate it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle