Are NSA zones really that much higher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
Back from an NSA tourney in Pekin IL.

What was the most shocking was the strike-calling.

Here in the upper-midwest, with ASA being a bigger force, umpires zones are big-time lower than NSA. (and probably not as wide either)

Is this an understood fact of NSA or just an anomoly of this tourney?

I tell ya what, with DD being a pitcher, I can't wait til the next NSA tourney if this is the norm there :)

Sep 17, 2009
Most humps have three or four different association patched shirts in their car so its typically the same imps. So unless its in the rulebook as significantly different id say not a different zone.

Jul 28, 2008
NSA does have a larger strike zone. In my experience, where we have several sanctions in which the umpires work, the higher strike zone does not come in to play. NCAA lowered their strike zone a few years back to the sternum. I've read that this was to reduce the effectiveness of the rise ball, but don't quote me.

Defined strike zones

NSA - Slowpitch zoneSTRIKE ZONE: The strike zone is that space over any part of the plate between the batter’s highest shoulder and his/her front knee when the batter assumes a natural batting stance. Where the ball contacts the ground or glove has no bearing on the actual strike zone.

ASA - STRIKE ZONE: That space over any part of home plate, when a batter assumes a
natural batting stance adjacent to home plate, between the batter’s,
A. (Fast Pitch) Arm pits and the top of the knees.

USSSA - STRIKE ZONE. The strike zone is that space over home plate, which is
between the batters forward armpit and the top of the knees when the batter
assumes a natural batting stance. Any part of the ball passing through the
strike zone in flight shall be considered a strike; the Umpire shall determine
the batter’s strike zone according to the batter’s usual stance

PONY - STRIKE ZONE. (FP ONLY) The strike zone is that space over any part of
home plate between the batter’s arm pits and the top of her knees when the batter assumes
a natural batting stance.

NFHS - Strike zone:forward arm pit to TOP of knees in natural batting stance

NCAA - Strike Zone
The area above home plate between the bottom of the batter’s sternum and
the top of her knees when she assumes her natural batting stance. When the
top of the ball is on or within the horizontal plane and either side of the ball
is on or within the vertical plane of the strike zone, a strike is called unless
the ball touches the ground before reaching home plate.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2010
Shockcoach (It was the part about contacting the ground that tipped me off, and sent me off to check.}

This is Section 51 of the NSA Fastpitch/Modified Pitch rules:

NSA Rules said:
The strike zone is that space over any part of home plate that is between the batter's armpit and the top of the batter's knees when the natural batting stance is assumed. Any part of the ball passing through this strike zone is considered a strike. The umpire is instructed to determine the batter's strike zone according to the batter's usual stance when swinging at a pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 29, 2009
That NCAA rule change was implemented during my DD's last year of college. They didn't change the height of the strike zone. Now the entire ball must be inside of the zone at the top and the bottom of the zone effectively taking away the advantage of the good rise and drop pitchers who flirted with the edges of the zone like they were taught to.

Her RB was her K pitch. By the middle of the season the hitters had learned to lay off of the rise that was at the top of the old strike zone. She ended up using her screw and drop curve more and the rise became a setup pitch.

Aug 2, 2008
IMO in Washington ST, NSA umps are more consistant from tournament to tournament than ASA. Better umping all around but I havent played much up shockcoaches way.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The size of the strike zone can also grow or shrink with the time of the season.

Early in the season, the strike zone can be a little bigger than normal giving the pitchers a little edge as they get more games and practice. Later in the season, once the pitchers have had more experience, the strike zone can shrink giving the batters a little bit of an advantage.

It all comes out in the wash and DOES promote more swining of th bats and then more accurate pitching.

The correct person to ask is the UIC of whatever tourney you are at.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Back from an NSA tourney in Pekin IL.

What was the most shocking was the strike-calling.

Here in the upper-midwest, with ASA being a bigger force, umpires zones are big-time lower than NSA. (and probably not as wide either)

Is this an understood fact of NSA or just an anomoly of this tourney?

I tell ya what, with DD being a pitcher, I can't wait til the next NSA tourney if this is the norm there :)

Most umpires in our area (south of there) work the majority with one sanction with a few that will work all the alphabets. I used to think that ASA provided better officiating, but after last year, I found it mostly to be the same just about everywhere.

Ok, here we go. . .sorry to hijack the thread but. . .RANT ON!

What I find most frustrating with the strike zone, is that many umpires squeeze the bejesus out of 10U and 12U pitchers. For goodness sakes, they are still learning! I guess they like walk-a-thons. . . (BTW, I am talking about only missing by maybe a couple of inches, not a foot. :cool:)

And I understand the strike zone is the strike zone, but the "plate" should be expanded for the younger players. One PC I know, thinks that there should be a special expanded plate for these age groups.

Calling a 16U pitching strike zone for a 12U is ridiculous.

Not only does it go against what we are trying to teach the younger pitchers, (throw it down the middle?) but it also causes problems with young hitters--always looking for a walk instead of being aggressive at the plate. Then when the hitters get older, they have trouble hitting the outside pitch, don't have the right "Hit, Hit, Hit" mentality, etc.

We had one of these umpires recently, very nice man, knowledgeable, but squeezed the heck out of our young pitcher. After I took her out, he told me "She throws hard, her control will come." :mad: Out of about 60 pitches only about four where extremely high. Catcher hardly moved.

The other coach asked us about how our hitters got so good, I just smiled and said lots of practice. But what I really wanted to say is that we swing our bats and can hit hittable pitches. We don't look for walks. . .

RANT OFF. . .Ok, thanks, I feel much better now! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mc442009