Another year. Evie is 11.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Thanks Rich. It's funny because he certainly will not let himself be cheated. I was hoping the derby would help her organize her body for more explosiveness, but I think she just likes to be athletically in control at the moment, which is probably good having those boundaries expand in a controlled manner.
Yep. Adding some oppo-only home run derby also wouldn't hurt either player :)

Jun 8, 2016
This is a good example of girls vs boys at least of the younger ages. Girls are usually more stiffer and confined and compact because of instruction vs boys who have more freedom of movement. Just a insight.
My 7YO DS swing is actually pretty vanilla which is actually on par with his personality (reserved)...lol.

Oct 2, 2017
My 7YO DS swing is actually pretty vanilla which is actually on par with his personality (reserved)...lol.
I guess I'm just saying as Borrow stated he is a little more "all out". Something I see often between boys and girls. Not saying girls can't be that way, just more reserved.

Jun 8, 2016
I guess I'm just saying as Borrow stated he is a little more "all out". Something I see often between boys and girls. Not saying girls can't be that way, just more reserved.
I agree, I see it on his team. The same kids that are running around screaming trying to kill mosquitos with bats before the game are the same ones with the huge leg kicks, etc..lol. My DS on the other hand usually just puts his stuff down and waits to get in the dugout..lol. I would actually like a bit more from him in that regard but he is who he is..at least right now.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

I hadn't really thought about the swing as a reflection of personality. Thinking through Maddie's current team and some former teammates, I can definitely see a correlation - LOL.

Jun 8, 2016
I hadn't really thought about the swing as a reflection of personality. Thinking through Maddie's current team and some former teammates, I can definitely see a correlation - LOL.
Glad I could help 😉

Dec 12, 2020
After a full month of being rained out, Evie's team finally managed to get some games in this weekend. Nothing from May 2nd through 28th.

She hit a homerun.

...inside the park. But it was hit pretty well! It found the left foul pole quickly. Errorless, and even pull side. No particular break throughs, just a solid barrel somehow to the right place at the right time.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I really like the action in the rear leg. You can see her foot slip a little with outward rotation, before the turning of her leg pulls the heel up off the ground and on to her toes. These are the forces we want to see...with less foot slip ;)

She also does a good job staying back over the rear hip.

There is a lot of improvement to be had in the upper body. Her arms are disconnecting her hands from her torso/shoulder.

Keep up the good work.

Dec 12, 2020
I really like the action in the rear leg. You can see her foot slip a little with outward rotation, before the turning of her leg pulls the heel up off the ground and on to her toes. These are the forces we want to see...with less foot slip ;)

She also does a good job staying back over the rear hip.

There is a lot of improvement to be had in the upper body. Her arms are disconnecting her hands from her torso/shoulder.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Eric. Would it be correct to think if/when she commits to her "move out" she'll be able to fuse her upper body better against it and lose some arms with her stretch, also it'll probably eliminate that foot slip. Just so much slack at the moment. I'm about to bribe her to just SnF her at bats.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks Eric. Would it be correct to think if/when she commits to her "move out" she'll be able to fuse her upper body better against it and lose some arms with her stretch, also it'll probably eliminate that foot slip. Just so much slack at the moment. I'm about to bribe her to just SnF her at bats.

Maybe. It's hard to predict how kids feel things and how they put the pieces together. For my DD, understanding scap pull-back, and how that helps create the link between upper and lower halves, was important.

The foot slip was just a lack of traction in that moment. The direction of the slip is very telling, however.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying