Another year. Evie is 11.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
...Continued from https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/swing-critique-10u.40308/

Dd just turned eleven, so I figured I'd begin a new thread, this time in the practical side..

We took about two months off, but hit a handful of times in Dec; mainly soft toss with little instruction.

My christmas gift from her was a gift certificate for three consecutive weeks of hitting beginning Jan 1

Here's a few swings from Dec. She just crossed the 70lb threshold so here's to maybe finding some gaps in 2022! Her team gets together in a week to begin their 1st year of 12u.

Always enjoy any comments and input; I love the discussion here.

Happy New Year DFP!

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Some nice cuts overall. Pretty good looking hand path and rotation on most. One thing that stands out to me is that she's off-balance at/after contact on many of these. Sometimes, she's nearly falling over. I attribute much of that to excessive rearward lean, possibly because she's working to elevate the ball. The first swing in the video is among the smoothest and most balanced.

Oct 2, 2017
...Continued from https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...8&share_fid=3403&share_type=t&link_source=app

Swing Critique? 10u

Dd just turned eleven, so I figured I'd begin a new thread, this time in the practical side..

We took about two months off, but hit a handful of times in Dec; mainly soft toss with little instruction.

My christmas gift from her was a gift certificate for three consecutive weeks of hitting beginning Jan 1

Here's a few swings from Dec. She just crossed the 70lb threshold so here's to maybe finding some gaps in 2022! Her team gets together in a week to begin their 1st year of 12u.

Always enjoy any comments and input; I love the discussions here.

Happy New Year DFP!

Keep going!

Dec 12, 2020
Some nice cuts overall. Pretty good looking hand path and rotation on most. One thing that stands out to me is that she's off-balance at/after contact on many of these. Sometimes, she's nearly falling over. I attribute much of that to excessive rearward lean, possibly because she's working to elevate the ball. The first swing in the video is among the smoothest and most balanced.
The excessive lean was noted, and actually was a response to a very excessive lunge that appeared out of no where when we got started again, plus the idea of keeping the arms out of it and getting her back involved. Def a work in progress.

Oct 26, 2019
The falling off balance is due to the one handed finish being so far away from her body. The momentum of the bat takes her that way. On a positive though - if you are going to fall after you swing falling towards first base is the best direction.

It does appear that the top hand comes off pretty early/soon after contact in some of those swings. I’m not a big fan of the top hand coming off in younger kids swings - it happens in younger kids to mask swing flaws. Can she keep both on or is it a struggle?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
The falling off balance is due to the one handed finish being so far away from her body. The momentum of the bat takes her that way. On a positive though - if you are going to fall after you swing falling towards first base is the best direction.

It does appear that the top hand comes off pretty early/soon after contact in some of those swings. I’m not a big fan of the top hand coming off in younger kids swings - it happens in younger kids to mask swing flaws. Can she keep both on or is it a struggle?
That struggle used to be very real, she used to let go at contact. She was working towards a fairly good habit of her top hand releasing around her opposite shoulder, but I do see what you mention here. I actually just slowed the frames down and it's a pretty early release. Usually, I thought, when she let's go early she seems to be early with her swing, or going to get a pitch. As she's been learning to be more sudden, she's been finding herself early more often. Partly, it's like she has to recalibrate her timing.

She's never been comfortable with two hands, but we'll stay focused on two hands longer through. Thanks!

You mentioned it often masks flaws...do you see that here?

Oct 26, 2019
That struggle used to be very real, she used to let go at contact. She was working towards a fairly good habit of her top hand releasing around her opposite shoulder, but I do see what you mention here. I actually just slowed the frames down and it's a pretty early release. Usually, I thought, when she let's go early she seems to be early with her swing, or going to get a pitch. As she's been learning to be more sudden, she's been finding herself early more often. Partly, it's like she has to recalibrate her timing.

She's never been comfortable with two hands, but we'll stay focused on two hands longer through. Thanks!

You mentioned it often masks flaws...do you see that here?
No, I don’t see anything in this case. One of the flaws it often masks is timing (which you hit on yourself). Hitters will release top hand early to extend and reach a pitch they are early on. It’s not a bad thing to adjust on pitches you are fooled on, but you obviously want to limit it to only when you are fooled.

I would be interested in seeing what her top and bottom hand isolation swings look like.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478