Another day in trophy chasing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Tournament ball is the new rec ball.

I was poking around the local tournaments a couple weeks ago and was shocked that every local team except one org was registered “B”.

This area used to be kind of a hotbed of softball. Now all the tournaments might as well be midweek leagues.

It shows in the level of play at hs too.

It made me wonder how a local team could register “A”, who would you play without being in a hotel room every weekend?

Jun 27, 2021
The year is coming to the end for the '09 class and it blows me away that parents will jump ship from an "A" class team to play in a closed "C" tournament for a $10 ring. After the tournament was over it was brought to our attention that our '10 girls battled against 2 pitchers that were on an "A" and an "B" roster until last week. It was a great teachable moment for our girls and parents.
At that age, just play the game. You either thrive on competition or you don't but to be classified as a A, B or C team is not relevant for 98% of the team our there at that age. You call yourself whatever you want but you know A when you see it.

Jun 27, 2021
Tournament ball is the new rec ball.

I was poking around the local tournaments a couple weeks ago and was shocked that every local team except one org was registered “B”.

This area used to be kind of a hotbed of softball. Now all the tournaments might as well be midweek leagues.

It shows in the level of play at hs too.

It made me wonder how a local team could register “A”, who would you play without being in a hotel room every weekend?
If you sleep in your own bed each weekend and don't live in So Cal, you're not playing real ball.

Jun 27, 2021
Dang. Well, we’ll pack it in then I guess.
Money saver for sure. Majority start out this way until they realize they are playing watered down softball each weekend with mediocre teams and tournaments. Nothing wrong with it, to each their own.

Jun 27, 2021
^^^^^ has obviously never been to Houston.
No it is a solid area, but cant reach each metro like Houston, Atlanta etc as an example. But I feel you understand the point. I've seen many teams from Houston, So Cal, Atlanta and Chattanooga over the years. So for those Houston teams only staying local fall into my point of travel.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Money saver for sure. Majority start out this way until they realize they are playing watered down softball each weekend with mediocre teams and tournaments. Nothing wrong with it, to each their own.

Sorry....that post was more in jest than true sarcasm. I mean....I get it. We live in SW MO. Not a hot bed of elite softball by any stretch. The HC already stated the team will be traveling out of state next year. And, if the squad continues their trend up, the following year after will likely see that increased. Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Indiana, etc etc etc.