Another day in trophy chasing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
But isn't that what rec ball is designed for?
unfortunately, in many areas, rec ball is not for girls who love to play a particular sport, it is for girls who want to have something to do other than stare at their phones(or their parents want them to do something besides stare at their phones). not to be a snob, but it is really atrocious in many areas. in our district (rec = LL), at majors level (12u), we still had run limits. DD played LL two of the last 4 years simply to be with friends, and also to put a cork in the mouths of some frenemies who would brag about making rec AS, winning rec leauge championship (3 teams in league), etc.

Jan 14, 2020
Most coaches put winning a trophy over development, plain and simple. DD's team playing in two tournaments this Fall where we may not win a game and I am more excited for my DD to play in those then the other 5 tournaments where they have a chance to actually win a trophy...
It was a great experience for the kids. To let them see what hard work and dedication will do for you. My 62 lb DD had a blast pitching against these girls. The kids just know that girl threw hard... lol.

Jan 14, 2020
I think any of the systems would work fine if every coach was honest about their team's ability but we all know how that goes...

The goal should be to want competitive games, not enter a tournament, and run rule your way to 1st place. Nobody improves in that situation.
We are building a house full of HS or possibly college players and every loss/win there is a lesson to be learned.. It's the end of the year and I get picking up some players to play in a tournament, but to bring in a buzz saw bracket pitcher was a bit much as was the coach... lol

Jan 14, 2020
I hope the teachable moment was that you and your team need to put in more work if you really want to compete with girls that are the same age but take it seriously.
A couple years back my DD picked up in a tournament to play with some of her friends I said ok I didn’t know it was a c class tournament until the games started. We had only been playing open tournaments for 1 year. The team she played with said that was the 1st ring they had ever won.
I told her I didn’t want her playing in any more C class tournament because it wasn’t fair.
However the team we played with and against we’re not coached well many kids didn’t know what to do with the ball when they got it, a lot of laziness from players they just looked like they were having fun playing softball. (Rec ball) .
We all have seen those pick up players that take it more seriously than us. Especially when they are older and playing down (yes it happens). Instead of getting mad let it motivate you and your team. Figure out how to beat those teams and make it happen.
It was a great weekend for our 1st year team and got to play against some salty players. The girls know they can run w solid competition and they were excited that we were one run away from beating a girl that was selected to a U Trip Great Lakes team.

Jul 14, 2018
But isn't that what rec ball is designed for?

It is, but I think in most places Rec disappears after 12U. Most rec leagues that I am familiar with are affiliated with Little League, which stops at 12U. There’s also typically residency requirements, especially if a league is run through a municipal parks and rec department.

“Travel” ball means you can cast a wider net to put together a team that matches your skill and commitment level. For the top-level girls, that can mean building a powerhouse from a sixty-mile radius and traveling from state to state searching out the best competition. For others, it may mean finding 12 kids who play once a week for fun. Having both options is good for the kids and good for the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Where does 18U C even exist?

We have 18u in PA. In fact, most local 18u tournaments attract more teams than 16u. The bigger tournaments will attract more 16u. In many cases, the 18u teams are mostly made up of high school players that don't have a real desire to play at the college level. Or are already committed. Our team played 1 year at the 18u level and then moved up to 23u.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When we first started travel ball, the team was classified "B", but there was thought of making it "C". Locally, we were competitive. At larger tournaments we were fodder. This was 12u. At 14u we were solid "B". By 16u, we probably should have been classified "A", but the parents were worried about that. The players wanted to play against higher competition. So as a coaching staff, we compromised. We registered as a "B" team, but selected mostly open tournaments and showcases. Then we hand picked our tournaments with competition in mind. That way we knew we would play against mostly "A" class teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00