Advice on softball uniform

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Yes, i thought about the bike shorts, but I am not seeing men and women wear them as an outfit. They are either on the bike or in at the Quickie Mart.

Sliding pants started out as compression shorts, like MLB players wear. Then, they added the sliding pads. Some coaches don't even like for them to be longer than the player's shorts.

What about a sport's bra and no shirt? Is it different than a swim suit top? (I am glad my kids are raised.) :)

Sports bra and no shirt is fine (seems to be regular gym/running/biking/walking the dog attire in cali), but it's fine on their own time, not with the team at a team event. I'm not trying to be Tipper Gore and tell kids what to do and what to think, just trying to impress upon them the importance of respecting the game and their integrity when they are representing their team.

-W

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I agree 100% with starsnuffer. Players represent themselves, their team and the organization whenever they are at a team event. Running around without pants would be disrespectful of themselves, the team and the organization. If they are hot, find some shade and a cold water and don't run around too much.

As for pants vs. shorts; at 10U or even 12U, shorts would be OK but pants really are the most common choice and (according to DD) the shorts are no cooler and they are not as comfortable for the weekend.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
Today's pants breathe so much better than those past. And in our neck of the woods, many of the infields are of a Turfus (sic) material that resembles sandpaper when it dries out in those Louisiana sauna months, and girls in shorts won't slide on it. I'm a big fan of pants, although we have a matching set of shorts, and don't make the pants mandatory.

Mar 13, 2010
Question, does Team USA still play in shorts? I haven't seen them in pants for years but I can't find anything recent.

Mar 13, 2010
I didn't think so. I just checked out the rulebook and this is what I found under section 8

c. PANTS/SLIDING PANTS. All player pants shall be either all long or all short in style. Players may wear a
uniform solid color pair of sliding pants. It is not mandatory that all players wear sliding pants, but if more than
one player wears them, they must be alike in color and style except temporary, snap-on or Velcro sliding pads.
No players may wear ragged, frayed or slit legs on exposed sliding pants

So they have to be shorts OR pants. They can't be a mixture of both.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I didn't think so. I just checked out the rulebook and this is what I found under section 8

c. PANTS/SLIDING PANTS. All player pants shall be either all long or all short in style. Players may wear a
uniform solid color pair of sliding pants. It is not mandatory that all players wear sliding pants, but if more than
one player wears them, they must be alike in color and style except temporary, snap-on or Velcro sliding pads.
No players may wear ragged, frayed or slit legs on exposed sliding pants

So they have to be shorts OR pants. They can't be a mixture of both.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG