The First Last-Sr Year.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's Senior College Year is here and we will help her move in on Friday this week. Yesterday I told her to grab her Catcher's mitt and her Infielder glove. Both are Wilson A2000's she has had since 2016. I took a quick once over, and told her to get a bowl of warm water. We both sat on the couch watching some Softball LLWS while cleaning her gloves with a tooth brush. As we sat there, I realized this could very well be THE Last time I ever do this with her unless she blesses me with grandchildren who play diamond sports.

She said, I need this mitt to last this one last year. There are some questionable spots in the pocket, but I made sure to give it some extra attention. After they dried, I made sure to rub in some conditioning Oil throughout both gloves. I think they are ready for one last fall and spring season and I think I am ready too. I am trying to soak in every moment and lock it away in my memory lock box.

We finished the day by going to the Astros game and watching Lance McCullers throw a gem of a game winning 8-0 over the A's. On the way home, I made sure to remind her to enjoy this last week since this will be her last summer vacation ever. She is going to coop (20 hours a week) for Daikin in the fall semester working from her apt and going to school and will mostly be extended a job after graduation. As for softball, she had a career year last season, her name is in the record books with hopefully a couple of other categories, and is the last remaining from her recruiting class. She will have accomplished way more than we could have hoped. All those days in the hot sun pulling my hair out is done! I will do my very best to be a good dad and enjoy all of the "lasts" while also considering going to several away games that I normally would not even consider except for Sul Ross U. Nope! DD even is thinking about having an injury that week. Look at it on the map and you will know why.

For the rest of you good luck with Tryouts for new/old teams/HS season/Rec seasons. Make great memories. Your day will come too.

Jun 8, 2016
DD's Senior College Year is here and we will help her move in on Friday this week. Yesterday I told her to grab her Catcher's mitt and her Infielder glove. Both are Wilson A2000's she has had since 2016. I took a quick once over, and told her to get a bowl of warm water. We both sat on the couch watching some Softball LLWS while cleaning her gloves with a tooth brush. As we sat there, I realized this could very well be THE Last time I ever do this with her unless she blesses me with grandchildren who play diamond sports.

She said, I need this mitt to last this one last year. There are some questionable spots in the pocket, but I made sure to give it some extra attention. After they dried, I made sure to rub in some conditioning Oil throughout both gloves. I think they are ready for one last fall and spring season and I think I am ready too. I am trying to soak in every moment and lock it away in my memory lock box.

We finished the day by going to the Astros game and watching Lance McCullers throw a gem of a game winning 8-0 over the A's. On the way home, I made sure to remind her to enjoy this last week since this will be her last summer vacation ever. She is going to coop (20 hours a week) for Daikin in the fall semester working from her apt and going to school and will mostly be extended a job after graduation. As for softball, she had a career year last season, her name is in the record books with hopefully a couple of other categories, and is the last remaining from her recruiting class. She will have accomplished way more than we could have hoped. All those days in the hot sun pulling my hair out is done! I will do my very best to be a good dad and enjoy all of the "lasts" while also considering going to several away games that I normally would not even consider except for Sul Ross U. Nope! DD even is thinking about having an injury that week. Look at it on the map and you will know why.

For the rest of you good luck with Tryouts for new/old teams/HS season/Rec seasons. Make great memories. Your day will come too.
I drove through West TX on our way to CO this year... :oops:

Jun 8, 2016
Did you get lost? How did you get in West Texas from OK on your way to CO? Possibly the Panhandle of N. Texas. Amarillo?
We stopped over night in Trinidad but yeah I guess Panhandle of N. TX is more accurate..whatever I am from MA it all looks like endless cows and oil to me...We went through KS on the way home and that was slightly better.

May 21, 2015
South
Totally understand where your head is. I was in exactly the same place in the fall of 2019. Planned on traveling to most if not all of dd's games in the spring of 2020. Unfortunately, Covid shut the season down after 12 games. Not sure if dd or myself will ever get over that. DD did not take her Covid year for a variety of reasons. Enjoy every second of your last season!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We stopped over night in Trinidad but yeah I guess Panhandle of N. TX is more accurate..whatever I am from MA it all looks like endless cows and oil to me...We went through KS on the way home and that was slightly better.
The most unenjoyable way to and from CO from HTX was going straight North through the OK panhandle and then east through the Colorado grasslands. Nothing, Nothing and more nothing to look at. Almost ran out of gas at one point.

My favorite is going through the Raton pass, Trinidad route hugging the Rocky Mountains all the way north. If you go this way you will pass by the Capulin Volcano in NM. We decided to take a break and take a visit and tour. I highly recommend taking an hour or so out of your trip for this little side adventure. https://www.nps.gov/cavo/index.htm

Jun 8, 2016
The most unenjoyable way to and from CO from HTX was going straight North through the OK panhandle and then east through the Colorado grasslands. Nothing, Nothing and more nothing to look at. Almost ran out of gas at one point.

My favorite is going through the Raton pass, Trinidad route hugging the Rocky Mountains all the way north. If you go this way you will pass by the Capulin Volcano in NM. We decided to take a break and take a visit and tour. I highly recommend taking an hour or so out of your trip for this little side adventure. https://www.nps.gov/cavo/index.htm
I go the way my DW tells me to go..

3B86B804-0825-441F-B3DE-F062744FF7B5.png

I almost didn't even go as I was banned from going to the games anyway..I ended up being the designated shopper for a week..

Jun 8, 2016
What did you do that caused you to be banned from the games? This sounds interesting.
Long story..

Short version of it is I was my usual sarcastic as% with a loose cannon former MMA fighter parent on DD's team and it didn't end well for either of us..

Ban is now over though..not sure if that is a good thing.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA

That day came and went a while back ... 8 years ..9 ..? But as it turned out it was just a chapter in which as you point out "great memories" were made ... Great advice, but continue to look ahead ... For some it's watching their DD's go on to a career, a family, home ownership, new adventures and yes, possibly even more athletics to cheer on ... If you're as lucky as I am, and I hope you are, the relationship that was forged over the years continues to blossom ... I joke that my mate and I are in a somewhat unique situation in that our adult children still like us. We're striking while the iron is hot and still enjoying the ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802