About the Drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Like I said in an earlier post - all depends on the previous 2 pitches. If pitch one and 2 are fastballs that the batter was late on, pitch 3 is going inner third for a strike. If the first 2 were drops down the hitter chased, pitch 3 is going a little lower out of the zone so she can chase that. 0-2 is the worst count for a hitter to be - in 2019 D1 softball hitters batted .159 in those counts. 1-2 they batted .179 and 2-2 they batted .201. I want to keep attacking and put hitters away 0-2. Sometimes that is down with a strike and sometimes with a ball (swinging strike). Every pitch after 0-2 shifts the balance a little bit back to the batter.
Did i read this correctly?
With 0-2 & 1-2 you still want the pitcher to throw the next pitch over part of the plate?
Thats what i was asking about.
In those counts you still want your pitcher to come back throwing a pitch the umpire will call a strike?
Maybe good to ask what age bracket?

The stats about hitters at bats is a seperate conversation.
Basically
Those stats dont show pitch location on them in the box.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
Did i read this correctly?
With 0-2 & 1-2 you still want the pitcher to throw the next pitch over part of the plate?
Thats what i was asking about.
In those counts you still want your pitcher to come back throwing a pitch the umpire will call a strike?
Maybe good to ask what age bracket?

The stats about hitters at bats is a seperate conversation.
Basically
Those stats dont show pitch location on them in the box.
It depends on what happened to get the pitcher to 0-2 or 1-2. Short answer: No, I don’t think it is always the best thing to throw a pitch out of the strike zone 0-2 or 1-2 just because it is 0-2 or 1-2. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn’t. I think this applies to any age level.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30