76 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn- would be curious on your take on this in comparison to what is being taught by Fastpitch Power lady? Her videos seem to be gaining a LOT of popularity and no coincidence she seems to be getting higher level pitchers in her program.

I do like a lot of what she teaches regarding whip, stacking, etc. But seems she really dislikes opening, even though there are so many great pitchers who do it.

Why is everyone saying she doesn’t open. Look at the video you reposted, she is very open.

The video from the side, the one without the complete motion may look like she doesn’t open. That is just the angle and optical illusion. Look at the other videos, she opens.

May 17, 2023
Why is everyone saying she doesn’t open. Look at the video you reposted, she is very open.

The video from the side, the one without the complete motion may look like she doesn’t open. That is just the angle and optical illusion. Look at the other videos, she opens.

Sorry that isn't what I was saying. I think Pickens does open (as do many others) but that seems the opposite of FastPitch Power method.

May 17, 2023
Send me a link to Fastpitch power method.

I don't have a link, but she is all over Facebook and has a website.

bsbs is right she wants hips to stay square as long as possible and landing toe more at a 45 than perpendicular to the power line. She is also very much anti-HE and uses term IR. For while thought she might be a poster on here :LOL: .

Jun 29, 2023
She's my favorite follow on Instagram. Actually, one of the things I would like my daughter to change this winter is opening up too early.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The Fastpitch Power girl would make a lot of changes to Pickens's motion. Her instruction is sound, but it shows how Pickens has developed her own way of getting the task accomplished. There has been a lot of scientific research into motor skill acquisition, (ecological dynamics, constraints led approach, differential learning) and it supports a different instructional model versus the traditional method. Pickens is the poster child for the new model, it relies heavily on the body's ability to self organize and accomplish the goal, in her case throwing the ball very fast.

Here is a Fastpitch Power link:

Jun 20, 2022
The Fastpitch Power girl would make a lot of changes to Pickens's motion. Her instruction is sound, but it shows how Pickens has developed her own way of getting the task accomplished. There has been a lot of scientific research into motor skill acquisition, (ecological dynamics, constraints led approach, differential learning) and it supports a different instructional model versus the traditional method. Pickens is the poster child for the new model, it relies heavily on the body's ability to self organize and accomplish the goal, in her case throwing the ball very fast.

Here is a Fastpitch Power link:

Pickens middle of the pitch motion looks a lot like a pitcher taught to throw and drill the 3/4 (or K or 9’clock) with the hips open to third base, and then incorporate that into the motion. Unless you have insider information about her instruction, i’d hesitate calling her a “posterchild” for learning by self-organization

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA