7-8 Year Old Division

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Looking for some input on how others have handle this issue.

In addition to coaching TB, I am also the President of our LL board. This year we want to add a 7-8 year old division instead of having all girls play in Minors (7-10). We don't want to have coach pitch. Also, understand the difficulty that we will face with player pitch. Over the years, I have heard of leagues that have used play pitchers at that age, but had some limitations on how "bad" they pitch...ie some many walks and then the coach finishes the inning.

Have any of you seen/used this format? If so, could you spell out the details for me? Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD played player pitch but no walks. If the pitcher threw 4 balls, it became coach pitch. We actually used a machine but you get the idea. The strike count was carried over from the real pitcher to the coach. Umpire still called balls and strikes so the batter could strike out, just not walk. Some innings the umpire stopped paying attention and just called a ball when the P threw the ball, the pitcher had no chance of getting the ball to home plate. Always seemed silly to me to have to wait for a P to throw 4 balls in the dirt before the coach pitched. Makes for a long game.

Brother’s league did the same as above but had a 3 walk limit per inning. If a Team walked 3 batters in an inning, still no walks coach pitch if 4 balls, they lost their pitching privileges for that inning and it becomes all coach pitch. This sounds good to me. It rewards the players that are practicing while still keeping the game moving.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Be patient. The kids don't seem to notice the time issue....and certainly don't remember it later.

They do not notice the time Issue because they are building sand castles in the infield or catching butterflys in the outfield. Need to keep the game moving to expect them to pay attention.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Dixie Youth Softball has a pretty good pdf file on some rules and ideas. They start at 4-5-6 Yo and have a two year leagues from there up. 7-8, 9-10 etc.

Your 7-8 age group would be the "Darlings" in DY, to help you scroll to what you need in the PDF.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
They do not notice the time Issue because they are building sand castles in the infield or catching butterflys in the outfield. Need to keep the game moving to expect them to pay attention.

Or they're 7-8 years old. I know for t-ball for my young ones we have two coaches in the field with them and we're constantly talking to them to keep them aware of what's happening. Maybe allow that as well.

May 25, 2010
We don't have walks. When count gets to 4 balls, coach of the hitting team comes in, takes the strikes, and finishes the at-bat. There must be a hit or an out.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We have the following rules for age groups and it works well.
5-6 - Tee Ball 3 coach pitch and two attempts off the tee.
7 -All Coach Pitch 5 pitch maximum unless the 5th pitch is fouled off. If you watch the 5th pitch pass by you are out.
8 - 3 Player pitch/2 coach pitch 5 pitch maximum unless the 5th pitch is fouled off. If you watch the 5th pitch you are out.
9/10 - 5 Player Pitch/Coach finishes the strike count (?). If you watch the 5th pitch you are out.

We moved into TB B/C of the Coach still pitching at 10U. We felt this was the point at which that needed to stop.
I think our county did this b/c we loose so many pitchers to TB at this age that games were walk fests making them a bit boring. This made the parents complain. I always felt that the games were boring b/c the coaches were not coaching up defense or their catchers, but then again what do I know...lol