3 steps and then throw to 2B?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2015
I'm having a hard time visualizing - are we talking left-right-left (or right-left-right for a lefty)? I've had catchers take 2 steps: right-left, but never 3. That's weird.

Me too. Maybe a shuffle step (for a rightie...small step with left, behind left with right, and then left)?

Jul 21, 2015
Nope. Slide right foot under hips. Fire!

Right, but my comment was in regards to trying to guess what the coach may have possibly been teaching. I can't figure out where 3 steps comes from, unless it's a shuffle.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2015
Georgia
I'm having a hard time visualizing - are we talking left-right-left (or right-left-right for a lefty)? I've had catchers take 2 steps: right-left, but never 3. That's weird.

Yes, he wants her to do left right left. The other catcher on the team is a lefty and my DD said the 3 steps don't seem to bother her as much...but she's new to catching so I don't think she knows another way yet.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Avila_front.gif

Avila_rear_slomo.gif

Jul 21, 2015
Yes, he wants her to do left right left. The other catcher on the team is a lefty and my DD said the 3 steps don't seem to bother her as much...but she's new to catching so I don't think she knows another way yet.

How is your daughter's arm? Does she have a hard time getting it to second on the fly or even one hop?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio

Beyond all the other issues raised by the knowledgeable folks here, there's one that hasn't been touched on: taking those steps can lead her into a dangerous situation. My #2 catcher this season had the habit of taking 2 steps (and sometimes 3 now that I think on it). It got to the point that she was stepping forward as the ball was still in front of the plate, and she was at risk of getting blasted by the bat. We (her dad and I) had a rough time breaking that habit, and were never 100% successful teaching her to wait on the ball.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
POP AND THROW. It doesn't matter if the ball bounces unless your SS sucks. The faster the ball is out of your hand the faster it gets to 2nd. IMO arm strength doesn't matter, feet and transition matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl