1st Travel Tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
The best part is seeing your DD have fun on and off the field. The softball is the same, but the bonding experience for DD and her teammates hanging out in the same room, pool or eating together is pretty cool.

We used to belong to an org that had pretty good parking lot get togethers. Folding chairs and coolers aren't just for the ballpark.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Just returned from what is probably DD's last out-of-towner.

Yes, for coach and parent, the wagon is the best piece of gear ever invented. I looked like a pack animal before getting one. If you're in areas that get "Africa hot" in June/July, get the biggest and best cooler that you can afford. If you're at an authoritarian ballpark that doesn't allow them, also have a smaller one that you can use to shuttle and smuggle your snacks and drinks in your wagon hidden under a bunch of other stuff. :cool:

Stage and inventory your gear before packing, especially the softball gear. You can find a chair or pop-up tent at Walmart, but they probably don't have the glove or cleats your DD needs to play.

Don't cheap out on the hotels. You probably don't all live in one room at home, so get the biggest and nicest hotel room possible. I don't sleep well the first night in a hotel anywhere, but if you sleep in a King bed at home, make sure your hotel room has one. Sofa sleepers sometimes work for a single kid, but I also bring a good quality inflatable twin bed just in case.

Funny how people mention leaving town to play different teams. We often run into some of the same teams regardless of where we go. Teams from all over the country come to play where we live, so we don't normally travel far unless it's somewhere interesting aside from softball.

I've always kind of liked the 8am pool game to start a tournament. It's cooler, and there's often a nice sunrise photo to be had. I've also found that it's always hotter on Sunday, especially when your DD and/or team is having a bad tournament!

May 1, 2018
Weird things to take with you:
Foam Roller - As a 40 yr old coach...this is for me.
Bathing Suits - Good way to cool down and have some fun, just don't wear out though.
KT Tape - Just always have it.
Know the good bars - If the girls are old enough, leave them and hit the bar.
Remember there is a walmart at most places so if you forget it, just go buy it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
4x4 vehicle for off the beaten path exploration... 👍

ENJOY THE JOURNEY

May 24, 2013
So Cal
...looking forward to an 8am game time tomorrow!

That feeling ^^^ will disappear very quickly.

What you bring to the field will evolve over time. At first, you'll be vastly underprepared. Next will be a phase of bringing everything, including stuff you never use. It will settle down into the streamlined essentials, and you'll be able to tell from the parking lot which stuff can go in the wagon, which stuff can stay in the car, or if you even need to pack the wagon.

A few unusual things I always have with me...
- Duct tape and medical tape
- Super glue
- Multi-tool (I prefer a mid-size Leatherman)
- Helmet screws

I have come to prefer the Renotto chair with a built in canopy. However, I'm almost always solo. If I was rolling with the DW and other littles, a pop-up would be involved.

Definitely stay stocked up on the pain med supply.

Apr 25, 2019
One thing I would suggest to bring is a sound machine. Hotel rooms can be loud with people in the hallways, above you, etc and some white noise does wonders for my sleep.

May 6, 2015
One thing I would suggest to bring is a sound machine. Hotel rooms can be loud with people in the hallways, above you, etc and some white noise does wonders for my sleep.

one problem we have never had, usually all of us are so exhausted head hits pillow, and we are out!

Aug 21, 2020

An eye mask and ear plugs are always in my travel bag now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2021
I saw someone mention get-togethers, if that's your thing like it is for the group that we travel with. I strongly suggest get yourself a decent set of Cornhole boards, we have had more fun than I ever expected playing tournaments. And if you're DD is playing TB I am guessing that the parents of the girls are just like the parents of our girls...... Super competitive!! LOL, most of all enjoy it whole you can!!

May 6, 2015
almost forgot, hard shell beer cozy that unscrews in the middle to accept longnecks, so no guff about glass/alcohol around the pool or wherever (which is a rule I like unless you take steps like this). mine the cap doubles as bottle opener!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12