1st HS Game...most exciting ever!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
We played our first HS game of the season last night. It was great to have been able to play 4 scrimmages in the last week to prepare for this one. It was a non conference game against a team many have said is one of the best in the state. They have 4 girls that play together on a Gold team and all have been signed to D1 Schools. The pitcher will play for Jacksonville University this fall. We only had 3 balls that made it out of the infield. We've won our conference the last 3 years but have a young team this year. All 9 play travel ball however. I was excited that DD got moved to the 5th spot after a strong 4 scrimmages at the plate. She didn't fair well though this time:( She got hit with a fastball her first up at bat and her calf is swelled up today and down right ugly. She tried to foul off a ball and it got caught, and then struck out. So a .000 average to start the season.

What was so exciting about this game was the defense. Their players were hitting consistently against our pitcher but the defense was making plays that just made your jaw drop. This was HS ball! I've seen hundreds of TB games and this was the most exciting defensive game I've ever watched. Several double plays and at one point DD had 4 outs in a row at 3rd for a total of 5 in the game.
This was the first I've really been apart of the HS scene. With a great turnout, the announcer calling names over the speakers...just all of the friends etc...in the stands. I can see why some love HS ball because we certainly don't see that in TB. I know not many games will be like this. Monday we play a team that has only won one game in 3 years, so I'm going to cherish it.
In the past DD would have shut down with that kind of hitting, so I'm glad she's growing mentally and making it up on the field.
Oh, we ended up winning the game by one run in 9 innings (ITB) DD got her name in the paper for pitching a complete game in the win LOL. Of course it was a mistake as she's never pitched a game in her life.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Congrats on the win and DD's great defensive play!!!! I wish I was there to watch it with you! Next time, take video and post please....the entire game:D Hopefully you do better than Doug;)

Oct 10, 2011
Congrats on the win and DD's great defensive play!!!! I wish I was there to watch it with you! Next time, take video and post please....the entire game:D Hopefully you do better than Doug;)
I have a habit of only catching bad things on camera so I haven't been doing it much in the last year. I did get video of her getting nailed by that fastball.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have a habit of only catching bad things on camera so I haven't been doing it much in the last year. I did get video of her getting nailed by that fastball.

Still...Watching softball played at any level beats a few hours of work any day;)

Edit to Add: And yes, I DO know how painful some of the younger age group games can be. I've coached many of them.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Glad I cherished the moment LOL! Last night we got to eat some humble pie as 7 of our starters had at least 1 error. DD got moved to first because of an injury, and lets just say it wasn't her best defensive game. She had one of only 3 hits in the game (faced another girl going D1 who had 20 strikeouts in the prior game). I just found out they charged the 3rd baseman with an error, so she still has a o.oo average. 7 girls have a .250 or under BA. This is not going as planed:rolleyes:
I forgot to add that a college coach was there to watch and she wasn't too happy about how she performed. He just said, "not many girls get hits off her."

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
1st game of the season is at 4 PM today. It's sunny, in the high 50's & they're playing on turf, so they'll play even though we had a monsoon here over the weekend.

Likelyhood of winning is low as the game is against last years conference champs who return most of their players, but taking the game to 7 innings would be a moral victory.