12u 2nd base position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sparky, this is a 12u competitive team. This girl is not athletic at all. But, she's a sweet kid and gives everything she has. Her teammates love her....as do all of us parents. But, she struggles so bad if the ball is hit anywhere but to her. The girls look frustrated, but they pat her on the back and tell her she's going to get the next one. But, they don't believe it.

Weird thing is that there's a girl that they keep in the OF (right field)....very athletic and knows the game well (dad played baseball). She calls out where the ball should go before the pitch and is spot on. She wants to play 3rd or 2nd. She doesn't have the arm for 3rd....I believe she can play 2nd. She's quiet off the field....while the current 2nd baseman is a fun, goofy kid who always talks to the coaches and jokes and laughs with them. I wonder if the coaches are just more comfortable with the current 2nd?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Weird thing is that there's a girl that they keep in the OF (right field)....very athletic and knows the game well (dad played baseball)...

Speaking from the rec perspective, where I find myself with at least 4 or 5 place holders every season, I make sure that my RC (we play with 10 in the field) is one of my solids if my 2B is weak.

When I coach my All Stars, weak fielders (I don't get to pick the team) stay in the infield.

May 12, 2014
Maybe that's why the girl in the OF is there? She does a great job of backing up people and holding potential doubles to singles.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maybe that's why the girl in the OF is there? She does a great job of backing up people and holding potential doubles to singles.

A good RF can make the occasional out at 1B, too. I'm always quite amused when I get to write in the ol' 9-3 out in the scorebook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom