12u 2nd base position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
Thanks everyone. I'm still learning softball. My DD plays SS, 3rd, and CF when she's not pitching. I'm still trying to learn what she's supposed to be doing!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Especially in 12U & below we put the smartest player there with the surest hands. If she makes all the easy plays & makes all the right mental decisions, I don't mind giving up a bit of range. That means knowing when to be at 1B, 2B as well as fielding and getting outs on all the balls that head that way.

That 4-3 Error always makes for long innings... Again we are taking guaranteeing this play over the occasional spectacular dive to make an out but the constant fear the same player might the wrong type of throw/fielding error on an easy ground ball or forgetting to cover on a bunt.

As they get older, it is the girl who doesn't quite have the arm to be your SS.

Good points.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Especially in 12U & below we put the smartest player there with the surest hands. If she makes all the easy plays & makes all the right mental decisions, I don't mind giving up a bit of range. That means knowing when to be at 1B, 2B as well as fielding and getting outs on all the balls that head that way.

That 4-3 Error always makes for long innings... Again we are taking guaranteeing this play over the occasional spectacular dive to make an out but the constant fear the same player might the wrong type of throw/fielding error on an easy ground ball or forgetting to cover on a bunt.

As they get older, it is the girl who doesn't quite have the arm to be your SS.
Agree especially at the younger ages that 4-3 play has to be an out most of the time. The 6-3 and 5-3 is a little more dicey at 10U and under. Around 12U you expect that to be made but at the younger ages sometimes the batter can simply out run the throw if they have a combo of not too hard hit ball and above average runner. Batter can't really do that on GBs to 2nd. Even at the young ages.

Jun 11, 2013
It's a position that you can live with a good player versus great, but if you have a bad one it will cost you games. Missing throws on bunts, not covering, turning bases loaded outs into base clearing doubles.

Mar 21, 2013
2nd base needs to be athletic and have game smarts.

In 8 - 10U rec ball you can argue that your best player is at 2nd as most kids can't get around on the ball, especially with faster pitching.

As they get older you are only as good as your middle infield. 2nd base is essentially the shortstop of the right side. They have to be able to field, cover and think on there feet.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
A knowledge of the game goes along way for younger second base also. Well for the whole infield, but at second they really should have an understanding of what to do, when to do it and where to go. When a younger player understands the position and can mentally get a "jump" on the play, they are ahead of the curve. When they get older the skills will develop and they will still have the mental part of the game.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
2nd base is essentially the shortstop of the right side.

Could not agree more. I put my weaker infield arm there, but that's really my only concession. As has already been stated, she needs to be game smart, able to field and make accurate throws from short to medium distance (don't overlook an inability to make a good underhand toss!), move well and correctly to cover.

Aug 24, 2011
2b is an interesting position. At the younger ages coaches hide players there that cannot catch a fly ball and have a weak arm. Then as they move up in age with slapping and more small ball it becomes a critical position. Best 2nd basemen are there at 1b on a bunt handling difficult throws and have very fast transition times and quick releases. As they get to the elite level they must have serious skills.

I agree. Coaches do try to hide weaker players at second base. Yet, it's a very demanding position. You had better be able to run.

Aug 24, 2011
A knowledge of the game goes along way for younger second base also. Well for the whole infield, but at second they really should have an understanding of what to do, when to do it and where to go. When a younger player understands the position and can mentally get a "jump" on the play, they are ahead of the curve. When they get older the skills will develop and they will still have the mental part of the game.

Well said, if I have a shortstop and second baseman with equal abilities the smarter of the two is playing second for me.

Nov 29, 2009
You never mentioned what level the team is playing at. If it's rec then you give the girl more leeway with her abilities. So long as the girls are still positive with her. If you're playing any type of travel or competitive ball you can not leave her in there. It's not right to have the entire team suffer because of a severe weakness at a key position.

This fall I had twins show up for tryouts. One girl was an absolute stud. The other was the polar opposite. The stud could get to ground balls almost from base to base. The other girl couldn't get a sniff of a grounder 10' off to the side that average players get to. Dad tried to convince me "she played better in games." Dad ended up taking them to a team who lied to him and said the weaker one would play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom