12u 2nd base position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
2b is an interesting position. At the younger ages coaches hide players there that cannot catch a fly ball and have a weak arm. Then as they move up in age with slapping and more small ball it becomes a critical position. Best 2nd basemen are there at 1b on a bunt handling difficult throws and have very fast transition times and quick releases. As they get to the elite level they must have serious skills.

May 12, 2014
Thanks riseball. I was curious. My daughter's team has a 2nd baseman who gives 200% but is not athletic at all. If the ball is not hit directly at her (literally) she won't be able to stop it. The girls love her, but you can sense their frustration sometimes. So, I decided to come to the experts in regards to the position.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Thanks riseball. I was curious. My daughter's team has a 2nd baseman who gives 200% but is not athletic at all. If the ball is not hit directly at her (literally) she won't be able to stop it. The girls love her, but you can sense their frustration sometimes. So, I decided to come to the experts in regards to the position.

How old is she? I have seen some girls that I would have bet the farm have no future when they are in 14U turn into studs by the time the get to 18U. I have learned that if the kid is young and has the drive and love of the game you should give them every opportunity to succeed.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
With my DD's 10U select team, 2B is critical. Both of our starting pitchers are at the faster end of the spectrum, which leads to a lot of action for the right side of the infield from RH hitters. Besides having a solid glove, having good lateral range is also important. I look for a SS-type, but maybe doesn't have the arm for the left side. If the pitching is slower and most hits are going to the left side, you can get away with "hiding" less-talented player at 2B, if you have to.

May 12, 2014
She's 11 (majority of the team is ). I love her heart and want to. I just feel bad for her when she can't make "routine" plays. Her teammates like her too.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
How old is she? I have seen some girls that I would have bet the farm have no future when they are in 14U turn into studs by the time the get to 18U. I have learned that if the kid is young and has the drive and love of the game you should give them every opportunity to succeed.

I agree. At 10u and 12u, the best players were typically the best athletes. At 14u I noticed that the hard working players started catching up to the above average athletes that were not willing to work as hard. I am noticing that even more at 16u. Overall knowledge of the game makes a big difference.

May 12, 2014
Eric, that's how I noticed her. My daughter was pitching. 4 batters up. ...all 4 made it to base because she couldn't field the hits. Poor gal looked so sad. I felt bad for her. We kept cheering her on.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Curious what you feel makes a good 2nd base player (ex. Athleticism )

Especially in 12U & below we put the smartest player there with the surest hands. If she makes all the easy plays & makes all the right mental decisions, I don't mind giving up a bit of range. That means knowing when to be at 1B, 2B as well as fielding and getting outs on all the balls that head that way.

That 4-3 Error always makes for long innings... Again we are taking guaranteeing this play over the occasional spectacular dive to make an out but the constant fear the same player might make the wrong type of throw/fielding error on an easy ground ball or forgetting to cover on a bunt.

As they get older, it is the girl who doesn't quite have the arm to be your SS.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom