10u Stepping off base to tuck in shirt=out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2021
So 1st game this weekend, had player on 1st, tucking in her shirt and briefly moved her foot off base and ump calls her out .. how cheap can you get ?
Granted, this is my 1st season as coach and i am former college baseball guy but come on man haha

May 23, 2019
10u and under I prefer my umps to have a smile on their face the whole game. It's just supposed to be fun lol

Was someone holding a tag on her?

Mar 21, 2021
10u and under I prefer my umps to have a smile on their face the whole game. It's just supposed to be fun lol

Was someone holding a tag on her?
No tag on her, Pitcher had the ball but not sure she was on the rubber yet ..That happened TWICE in the same inning (Our very 1st inning by the way )

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Better have it happen sooner rather the later I guess.

Probly would have some polite words with ump after game. What a cheap call, warning would have severed what ever point they were making just as well.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I am not going to comment on whether the umpire handled it well or not. I will make this statement however; It is better to learn good habits early in the season/early in your career. Things like asking for "Time" before you fiddle with your uniform, whether it is tucking in a shirt or taking off armor need to become second nature. Divadad, thank you for stepping up and coaching, I need to ask though, why did it happen twice in the very first inning you are coaching? Drill it into the girls' heads, ask for time. Also, the P doesn't need to be on the rubber for this call, just in the circle. Quincy, why is it a cheap call? Because the girls on this team are to young/inexperienced for it to be made? Would you say it was a cheap call during a 16U game? D1? International? At what point do we as umpires decide what rules to enforce or not enforce? More importantly, if we made the call and it benefited your team would you still have 'polite words' with the umpire after the game?

Mar 21, 2021
Thanks, so , technically the 2nd time was legit as a different girl lead off the bag to get a jump and was too early(before ball left pitchers hand). But still called out . I didn't have a problem so much with this instance but the 1st was cheap. However, you are correct , they def learned a lesson the hard way which imo is the best way to learn sometimes ...So overall I don't have a problem with the call but since it happened in our very 1st inning of the season and with 10u ...but like I said, they all know now lol

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes, either Team does not matter.

Not sure what age they are expected to know all the rules. I am sticking with original post with 10U, it is a nothing IMO, warning is OK.

Jun 22, 2008
No tag on her, Pitcher had the ball but not sure she was on the rubber yet ..That happened TWICE in the same inning (Our very 1st inning by the way )

Being on the pitching plate has nothing to do with it. Once the pitcher has the ball in the circle if the runner is on base they cannot leave the base until the release of the pitch. 10U rec, ya ticky tacky call the umpire could have explained to the coach the runners must remain on base. 10U tournament ball, they play the same exact rules as everyone else. Got to learn the rules at some point, better sooner than later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom