10U DD backyard pitching practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
My DD has been pitching a little over a year now. She has pitched in a few games, usually an inning or two. Right now her pitching lacks consistency. Should we continue to make time for lessons and practice? Even though it really frustrates her sometimes she always comes back to "wanna catch me??" :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) If a kid is willing to practice and work at pitching, then she will be pretty good...if she goods good instruction.
2) It is hard to tell how much talent she has, but it looks to me like she is reasonably athletic. Is she?
3) I'm a little concerned she isn't getting good instruction. Can you post a side shot of her (from the 3B side)? We can then get a much better idea as to the quality of the instruction. From this angle, it looks like she isn't dipping her right shoulder when she throws.
4) I like that she is "lanky". But, again, you can tell whether she is athletic or not.
5) Do you have a structure to your practice? Does she just throw or do you do drills? Are your practices focused?

Quick story...my youngest DD (DD#3) quit softball when she was a junior in HS and focused on hoops. I was heartbroken, but I supported her and helped her with hoops. Six years later, I was watching her hold the NCAA D3 National Championship trophy.

Your DD wants to do something that is worthwhile and will make her a better person. So, you should support her efforts.

Jun 5, 2013
I'd like to get confirmation from the more experienced ones here, but my first thoughts are that she looks like she's really letting her glove hand swim out to the side...making her close up early...

Probably related to that, it seems that she's getting a bit of sideways lean...especially on the first pitch?

Like sluggers said, video from the side will also help the experts on here break down her mechanics better...

I'd say she looks like she has a lot of potential!!!

Good luck!

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Hey sluggers! Thanks for the feedback. She is a very athletic girl and most things come easily for her. We haven't had a lesson in several months due to scheduling conflicts. After warm up we usually work on spots, working for 5-6 in each area, she will throw her change up, we go through different scenarios and counts. Our last lesson a while back was focused on increasing arm speed. I have been digging deeply into Boardmembers thread on I/R. I hope to start some of his drills this week. This particular day we just had "fun" and didn't worry about. She also loves to catch. I think she still is searching for her niche.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Thanks! We were able to take a few lessons with Doug this winter who gave us several drills to work on her balance. This is still an issue for her. :-(
I'd like to get confirmation from the more experienced ones here, but my first thoughts are that she looks like she's really letting her glove hand swim out to the side...making her close up early...

Probably related to that, it seems that she's getting a bit of sideways lean...especially on the first pitch?

Like sluggers said, video from the side will also help the experts on here break down her mechanics better...

I'd say she looks like she has a lot of potential!!!

Good luck!

Jan 25, 2011
Put a sticker a bright one on the front of her pitching arm shoulder. It will help you to see if her shoulders are closing to early. Tell her to have her forearm brush her tummy. It looks like on her first pitch she had a chicken wing going on. Tell her that her hips are to be open towards 3rd and that they can close only after release of the ball, I repeat only after release of the ball, not before or at the same time. Make sure that she is pulling the ball down from 12oclock, not pushing. She can have a slight bend in the arm, a loose arm, not long and straight. Use IR, Board member has some really good threads on IR and has some nice video. Good luck, she looks to be well on her way.

Ps. Tell her not to show you the sticker until after release of the ball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IR is something you work on later in her development, not at the beginning. IR is like the stove in the kitchen...Every kitchen needs a stove, but first you have to have the gas installed, or the stove won't be much use.

She is struggling with her balance because her throwing motion is messed up. Her third pitch is pretty good. The other two were train wrecks.

From what I can see:

(1) she is "swimming" (i.e., throwing her glove), which causes her body to spin
(2) She is leaning forward.
(3) She isn't "dipping" her right shoulder.
(4) She is bringing her right foot around so that it is parallel with the left foot.

If you get rid of all the extraneous motion, she'll be fine.

Jan 25, 2011
Slugger is right. Work on getting the mech. Down first. The rest will follow, have her practice in front of mirror. Put down a piece of tape as a power line and then she can see what she is doing.

By the way, love your avatar.

Slugger avatar just scares me:eek:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Good morning! Thank you guys again for taking the time to provide analysis of the video.
First, is there a drill/exercise to correct the swimming? ( It is raining cats and dogs here so no hope for a video from another angle today.)

Jun 13, 2012
Hello, I see her falling off and it appears due to her left arm swimming. Have her "push" her glove at the catcher during her drive. Her left arm is currently swimming so bad that it is making her unbalanced. By pushing her glove it will force her to remain balanced thus gaining speed instead of bleeding it off to the side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207